guitar pedal rent-a-center

• Members

Why cant there be something like this.I would easily pay $10 to rent a pedal for a week and most likely end up buying it.I dont live anywhere near a shop that carries anything unique.I know guitar center will let you return your purchase after 29 days or whatever but f**k them.I was thinking about doing that with the line 6 dl4 but I dont really want to get stuck with it.I wanna try some zvex,foxrox,prescription and all sorts of {censored},but not the latest guitar center boss qlsm455z2.8 sale.Anything I can do besides ordering blindly and hoping for the best?

• Members

I'm with you. I wish there was a better/ more affordable way to experiment with pedals. I'm not really good at the buy/sell thing. I'm more of a buy/never getting around to do anything else kind of guy. Not very good for a guy with an empty wallet.

• Members

Originally posted by outstanding

Anything I can do besides ordering blindly and hoping for the best?

Buy used from eBay when you see a good deal. If you don't like it, sell it on eBay for profit.

Or, buy from eBay at a fair price. If you don't like it, sell it on eBay for the same price.

Or, if you are GASing badly, buy from eBay at a slightly unfair price. If you don't like it, sell it on eBay at a fair price, and consider the difference your "rental" fee.

devi-

• Members

yea i sold my bought at guitar center dl-4 for $10 bucks less then I bought it for on ebay. 6 months later. But I hear where your coming from, all pedals you buy at guitar center will be sold within 6 months. with the exception of a few mxr or electroharmonics pedals.

• Members

Then i'd do a lot of detailed backround research before purchasing, at a fair price on ebay. When you look at reviews, see what equpt they're using. If most people say a pedal is great, then make sure you've got somewhat the same setup and play the same music.

• Members

Originally posted by Effector 13

Buy used from eBay when you see a good deal. If you don't like it, sell it on eBay for profit.

Or, buy from eBay at a fair price. If you don't like it, sell it on eBay for the same price.

Or, if you are GASing badly, buy from eBay at a slightly unfair price. If you don't like it, sell it on eBay at a fair price, and consider the difference your "rental" fee.

devi-

+1 and what Freeridstylee says.

Read lots of reviews on the pedals you're considering. If the majority are good rather than bad, chances are you're getting something you're probably going to be happy with. And ask the more experienced guys on the board what they think. You can't go wrong if you take advice from a dude like Rev. David Lee. I always value his opinion. Maybe he should have his own consultation service? :idea::D

• Members

i'm going to study abroad in london for about 9 months and won't be able to take my pedals, clearly. i posted that i would be willing to rent my pedals for that period for a fair price. I dunno what you're looking for, but I've got some cool stuff. PM me for a list. (this wouldn't happen until september).

Alex

• Members

I was contemplating this same thing a couple months ago, and had gotten pretty far down the line as far as how I wanted it to be set up --- didn't of course get as far as dealing with funding. The issue that seemed to stick out most in my mind were wear and tear and being able to keep the stock 'in service and proper working order'.

I was also thinking in terms of newer boutique market products... simply cause I was thinking it'd be nice to try some of these things out without shelling down the full $150-$200 that some of them cost, since they aren't something you can typically find in local stores unless you're in a pretty big market.

The reality seems to be that many guys that are into that market are willing to go ahead and drop the cash, and then take the hit on selling it used... although in most cases you can usually get what you paid for it if it's new enough and not alot of product has made it to market (which can happen since some of these pedals are coming out of smaller shops with smaller production runs --- which would also cause issues for trying to supply a 'rental fleet').

The other sorta issue would be what would be a fair price? And what would be the rental period?

• Members

Originally posted by Effector 13

devi-

+1

• Members

I would say maybee a $300 pedal could be rented for about 3 weeks to a month for $20.That would be fair considering you could use that time to do several recordings with it,and then if you dig it maybee that $20 could go twards a new one that hopefully that company would have in stock.Then just put the original back up for rent.The rent money would pay for repairs and replacements easily.Fact is most people would just end up buying.I dont know if $20 would be realistic.Seems like in real life it would be more like $35 but ths isnt real life.This is about effects! I dont know,what would be a fair price for both ?Is this not worth considering for someone in the biz?

Archived