AC30 vs Deluxe Reverb

Vince

• Members

I'm still not sold on the construction quality of the CC series. They're plagued with reverb issues, poor materials (eg. soft headed screws), and you must get the model with the blues, because the stock speakers don't sound good at all.

I like both amps, but I prefer the tone of the Vox. Perhaps you might consider getting a used UK made AC-30.

• Members

Since you said funk and soul, I'm gonna vote DR - for that sound the Fender DR and the Tele's just a classic combo

The DR can also do rock and blues really well too.

I love the Vox sound and a Tele and Vox is great blues/rock tone but I don't hear a lot of soul/funk in that combo

• Members

Originally posted by Planet Beef

Vox has all kinds of issues. Read the user reviews.

I agree that Fender sounds like a better match for funk/soul, but the Vox user reviews are a terrible place to look for info.

- Most of the "issues" came down to a bad batch of preamp tubes, which have not only been sorted but upgraded.

- The speaker leads have been lengthened, so tube changes aren't really an issue any longer.

- The "OMG it won't turn on" cases have generally turned out to be pilot error - it likes a couple minutes of power-up before going to standby, and if you turn everything on all at once the green light won't come on for a good thirty seconds (more than long enough for an untrained GC salesman to flip his wig and think "this one's not working."

• Members

I'm amazed at the love for the DRRI. I'd have thought it would be much closer. Is this because I said funk and soul thus getting people to think Fender? If so, what would you use the Vox for?

• Members

Originally posted by Vince

I'm amazed at the love for the DRRI. I'd have thought it would be much closer. Is this because I said funk and soul thus getting people to think Fender? If so, what would you use the Vox for?

The DRRI is currently in a very uppity phase around here. Lots of love for them lately.

• Members

Primarily cause you put funk and soul first on your list and I can't see anyone who really wants to nail classic Stax, Motown, Musscle Shoals funk and soul sounds using a Vox

Also I think the DRRI is a better made amp the the Chineese made Vox.

Vox I'd use for Alt-Pop, Alt-Country, 60's english blues rock/classic rock

• Members

Originally posted by confused

Primarily cause you put funk and soul first on your list and I can't see anyone who really wants to nail classic Stax, Motown, Musscle Shoals funk and soul sounds using a Vox

Also I think the DRRI is a better made amp the the Chineese made Vox.

Vox I'd use for Alt-Pop, Alt-Country, 60's english blues rock/classic rock

Good points. Could the VOX do those sounds, or am I just being stupid?:confused:

• Members

Is this because I said funk and soul thus getting people to think Fender? If so, what would you use the Vox for?

It's because you said funk and soul. For those tight cleany-cleans, I just think Fender, though the DRRI might not do it at volume.

What would I use the Vox for? Everything else. Dear lord it sounds like a host of angels. A host of angels alternately lifting high to God their heavenly voices and nibbling my earlobes.

If you want chimey, "bell-like" cleans, rich cleans, dirty cleans, or raunchy crunch - anything but sparkly cleans really - the Vox is it. Granted, it's also twice the price, at least in the US - are the two amps closer price-wise in the UK? Because if they are, I'd hop all over the Vox.

(Note that I hardly ever touch 'verb, where Fender probably also has the edge. YMMV)

Per your question above, the Vox can cop a funk tone in a pinch (e.g., running clean it can get away with "Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2" nicely), but overall it puts out a middier, richer clean vs. the the Fender's definitive, classically scooped, shiny/sparkly clean.

One thing you haven't asked about that might make a difference: the DRRI is pretty close to grab'n'go, and the AC30 is one heavy bitch of an amplifier.

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

It's because you said funk and soul. For those tight cleany-cleans, I just think Fender, though the DRRI might not do it at volume.

What would I use the Vox for? Everything else. Dear lord it sounds like a host of angels. A host of angels alternately lifting high to God their heavenly voices and nibbling my earlobes.

If you want chimey, "bell-like" cleans, rich cleans, dirty cleans, or raunchy crunch - anything but sparkly cleans really - the Vox is it. Granted, it's also twice the price, at least in the US - are the two amps closer price-wise in the UK? Because if they are, I'd hop all over the Vox.

(Note that I hardly ever touch 'verb, where Fender probably also has the edge. YMMV)

Per your question above, the Vox can cop a funk tone in a pinch (e.g., running clean it can get away with "Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2" nicely), but overall it puts out a middier, richer clean vs. the the Fender's definitive, classically scooped, shiny/sparkly clean.

One thing you haven't asked about that might make a difference: the DRRI is pretty close to grab'n'go, and the AC30 is one heavy bitch of an amplifier.

You make some very good points here. I don't really want clean cleans. I want them to have a bit of grit to them. Your description of the AC30 is just what I want, but then the weight is an issue and if the DRRI gets dirtier and raunchier at volume, then that might work too.

• Members

So I got curious about US/UK pricing, prompted by the secret question lurking in the back of my head: wouldn't a Vibrolux be more comparable?

I'm converting everything to dollars and rounding for simplicity. Pricing based on MF and GAK posted prices (note that GAK includes VAT, while MF generally will not require Sales Tax).

Fender DRRI: $800 US vs. $1400 UK

Fender Vibrolux RI: $1000 US vs. $2000 UK

VOX AC30CC2: $1000 US vs. $1200 UK

VOX AC30CC2X: $1600 US vs. $1600 UK

Weak dollar makes the VOX look like a pretty good option for UK buyers.

• Members

I guess my point is that the real question should be Vibrolux vs. AC30, but the structure of the UK market puts the Vibrolux in a different price category.

On this side of the pond the CC2X would cost over 50% more than a Vibrolux. The structure of the market here dictates that if I could get an AC30CC2X for more or less the same price as a DRRI, I'd be obligated to jump all over it.

Hell, three Blues cost almost as much as a DRRI here...

• Members

The "OMG it won't turn on" cases have generally turned out to be pilot error - it likes a couple minutes of power-up before going to standby, and if you turn everything on all at once the green light won't come on for a good thirty seconds (more than long enough for an untrained GC salesman to flip his wig and think "this one's not working."

Ah, so it's best to power the amp on without putting it in standby first?

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

I used to own a Vox AC30 and I use a '52.

Great amp, but I would recommend the DR.
:)

Why do you say this? what did you not like about the vox?

Also, why does my heart say "get the Vox" and my head say "get the DRRI"?

Is it because I have too much love for Brian May and The Edge?:love::freak:

• Members

Why do you say this? what did you not like about the vox?

Also, why does my heart say "get the Vox" and my head say "get the DRRI"?

Is it because I have too much love for Brian May and The Edge?
:love::freak:

Don't get me wrong. I love the Vox and miss it dearly, but I think for your playing style and for convenience reason. The DR is the way to go. Btw..I'll try to bump my old VOX thread for you. :)

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

Don't get me wrong. I love the Vox and miss it dearly, but I think for your playing style and for convenience reason. The DR is the way to go. Btw..I'll try to bump my old VOX thread for you.
:)

And what VOX thread might that be?

Archived