Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to open a digitech whammy pedal?

My Digitech Whammy 4 pedal has stopped working - The "wet" out has no sound but the dry out does. I think it might be a short but can't figure out how to take the pedal apart. I've removed all the screws and nuts but it's stuck. Anyone ever opened one of these?

Comment

try this for me first

hold down the switch while powering on
      all the lights should blink or something like that and then sweep the pedal through its whole range 2 or 3 times and see if that does anything.

you might have already tried this but i saved my friend $200 with trick once so it might work for you too

good luck
      The Hangman's Got A Hardon

Comment

Those jacks are pretty crappy. Just take out all the hex screws and you should be fine. Last time I checked the measurement wasnt metric or standard though, like a special digitech size to deter tampering maybe.

Comment

analogman.com is supposed to be able to mod this pedal, i'm assuming if they can make them "better" they can at least fix it.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

I can get all the hex keys out and the nuts off the rotary switch and foot switch. But, the top and bottom of the pedal will not separate - It's like there is something inside holding it closed. I'm scared to reef on it too much for fear of breaking it.

I know its is a bad jack for sure. If I push down on the cord when it is in the pedal it works. As soon as I take the pressure off there is no sound.

Comment

Originally Posted by Reaganomics!

Maybe they cut Bin Laden open and found 14 million jobs inside of him

TRANSACTIONS WITH: JakeYanachek, StratAtak83, gener, Zlandicar, Inscho, TylerDurden24, cactuscool3r, coreopsisjay, GraceNotes, XanaduNEX, mfergel, mlabbee, hangwire, johnrambo, Small Stone, 6StrngStrangler, loomer415, EDS, thatmullingskid, TomCray , myTakamine, Sherwin, Belt, readymade, conky, sonaboy, cdawzrd, jackpotjewell, mcerreta, Overwhelmed987, thefragile103, zachary xxx, six acre lake

Comment

I know I've taken it apart a couple of times in the past. It is a pain in the butt because of the way the jacks are situated. You have to move the cover to the side slightly in order to get it to move. Also, you have to unscrew the top switch if I remember right (the stomp button).

Comment

Originally posted by SE1081
                  analogman.com is supposed to be able to mod this pedal, i'm assuming if they can make them "better" they can at least fix it.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

from analogman.com:
                  We offer a true bypass mod for the Mutron III+ and the original WH-1 Whammy pedal (we cannot mod any other whammy versions, sorry!)

good deals: fuzztone, thefragile103, schecterc1lh, mr_goodbomb, 4nkam, twofoolsaminute, jackpotjewell, alecto, brianwahl, AngelofHop, KjStrat62.

interviewer: Do you feel like there’s any definitive sound that you’ve been solidifying over your career?

thom yorke: I f***ing hope not.

Comment

can digitech repair it?
                    Good transactions

Comment

It's just the jack - I might be able to fix it myself if I can get the ****************in thing opened.

Comment

OK. I'm at home so I can look at mine. You have to unscrew all of the hex nuts, the midi in jack screws, the footswitch bolt (the on/off switch) and the bolt on the selector. Then you have to carefully pry it apart. What makes it difficult is that the jacks on the sides kind of get caught up in the holes. Try and angle the side with the midi jack out first.

It's a real pain but it does go back together a lot easier than it comes apart.

Comment

It was the god damn midi screws!!!! I got it apart and fixed it - Each jack has 3 thin metal strips on it that push down on the tip of the cable - The last one was raised too high from being plugged into 3000 times. I just took needle nosed pliers and pinched it down a little bit. Good as new - Except it still looks like it was in a car accident on the outside!

Thanks

Comment

glad you fixed it dude.
                            do you use it a lot?
                            i dont use mine too much but its always there when i need it.

Comment

Originally posted by raggydoll
                              glad you fixed it dude.
                              do you use it a lot?
                              i dont use mine too much but its always there when i need it.

I'm like you. I don't use it much. Especially since a lot of the multi effect units come with it built in. Granted, some of them still don't sound as good as the Whammy, but they do the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X