Fulltone OCD vs. Boss BD-2 Blues Driver

jconway

• Members

Originally posted by Janglin_Jack

The OCD is a killer OD. Best sound for money would be the Boss OD-3. I can get OCD type tones from it. Used they are around $45. Best OD pedal Boss makes IMHO.

Jack

Does the pedal clean up well with the guitar's volume turned down?

• Members

I have the OCD, and really like the pedal. I haven't tried a BD, but the times I've heard it, I liked it's tones. Not sure they do the same sound, though.

Boss pedals aren't bad, although I would use looper bypass boxes if you had more than two of them.

Actually, the majority of my pedalboard is Fulltone stuff. Great quality, true bypass, that's available from local stores.

• Members

OCD for sure. Its really in a different league than the BD-2. In fact somebody did a comparison between teh Box of Rock the OCD a Shredmaster or Guv'nor or something like that and the OCD could get those Marshall in a box type sounds no problem even.

The BD-2 is a great pedal for the money, and with mods it can be even better, but even then the OCD is what I would go with.

• Members

Originally posted by Mikoo69

whats the differneces between a fulltone OCD and a crowther Hotcake?

Start your own thread about the crowther hot cake. This is about the OCD and BD-2.

Pfft, thread hijackers. :o:rolleyes:

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by jconway

Does the pedal clean up well with the guitar's volume turned down?

I set my pedals and go. I use a volume pedal after the dirt pedals, so I don't do a lot of volume knob work to affect the distortion units. If I get to it, I will try it, but I am sure someone else works them this way and can comment.

The OCD takes boosting very well, from my Katana Clean boost and Barber LTD. So I know that one will clean up based on volume changes. I am not positive about OD-3.

Jack

• Members

i have a hotcake right now, and my only concern is that it is kinda muddy. There is alot of low end, and not many upper mids or highs, whcih might soudn great if im playing with a guitarist with another distortion....however im still on the fence with the hotcake...maybe an OCD will be suited for me better? though ive heard the OCD is lacking mids, whcih im afraid of

• Members

Originally posted by Mikoo69

i have a hotcake right now, and my only concern is that it is kinda muddy. There is alot of low end, and not many upper mids or highs, whcih might soudn great if im playing with a guitarist with another distortion....however im still on the fence with the hotcake...maybe an OCD will be suited for me better? though ive heard the OCD is lacking mids, whcih im afraid of

I didn't like my Hotcake for the same reason. You really can't go much over about 2:00 on the gain before it gets muddy.

The Keeley BD-2 is wai better.

However, I'd also recommend a Tonefactor Mule, which is based on the Way Huge Red Llama. It does the "clean up with your volume knob" think really well. Not heavy distortion by any means...more medium overdrive. But it rawks and has a ton of volume on tap for pushing preamp tubez.

• Members

so for radiohead bends type distortion/dimed marshall should i get rid of the hotcake and get an OCD/ Box of Rock or something else? I don't really dig boss distortion/overdrive pedals...

i once tried an mxr distortion+ and really dug it, but i hear the bypas is terrible

• Members

The OCD and BD-2 are both great pedals, particularly for low gain/rhythm tones. They are similar in terms of having excellent dynamics via picking strength and cleaning up well with the guitar's volume knob.

They are also similar because they have no mid emphasis- I'd say that the BD-2 is fairly flat, whereas the OCD is almost scooped. In this respect, the BD-2 actually cuts through the band better. The BD-2 also sounds a little thicker, if you were going to do any leads with it.

However, I do really like the quality of the clipping of the OCD.

There is no question that the build quality of the OCD is much higher. That being said, at one point I had a Monte Allums H2O modded Blues Driver, and that is an outstanding pedal. Extremely versatile, and still cheaper than the OCD. I definitely recommend that one, especially for the price.

• Members

BTW, the BD2 and OD3 do cleans up very nicely at the turn of the guitar's volume knob.

i have the Keeley BD2 and just got an OD3, and they are both superb at what they do. the OD3 just blew me away, it has great character, just enough mids w/out being over whelming and awesome low-end.

if you want a less exensive alternative to the OCD, the BD2 and OD3 are great bargains.

Archived