Best Reverb Unit for Vocals? ... live

johngalt

• Members

"BEST" is always highly subjective and with the "hands down" youmight include McDermott hall or a plate reverb or the Eno technique of multiple units run simultaneously

on a practical note - The Eventide/Princeton 2106 is pretty nice (have had a chance to play with one, but I do not own one...though I was immediate impressed)

the UI is very nice, esp for live use and the sounds are classic (with some modern twists)

• Members

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm interested in the best reverb for lush sounding vocals that is practical for touring live. This is definitely subjective but if anybody has a strong opinion on the matter chime in and hopefully that recommendation will be echoed. I also realize practical is a bit subjective as well...so don't necessarily hold back if you think your recommendation doesn't fit the practical category.

• Members

Originally posted by johngalt

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm interested in the best reverb for lush sounding vocals that is practical for touring live. This is definitely subjective but if anybody has a strong opinion on the matter chime in and hopefully that recommendation will be echoed. I also realize practical is a bit subjective as well...so don't necessarily hold back if you think your recommendation doesn't fit the practical category.

I used to own a soldano space box ...sold it to a singer that toured with a "do-wop" band...he seemed to dig it big time

I think Dick Dale had fender come up with the spring reverb tank specifically for vocals (if I'm not mistaken?)

Why don't we start with budget and any size and weight limitations and work from there? :)

Any rackmount studio unit that strikes your fancy can be used live. That means a Lexicon 960 or TC Electronic System 6000 will work, assuming you have the rackspace, strong back to carry it and money to afford it. Both of those would be at, or very near to the top of the hardware reverb food chain. A couple of others that would fall into that range would be the Eventide H8000 and Kurzweil KSP8.

Too expensive (and some of those units can cost five figures in US dollars)? The move down the product line. Instead of a 960, maybe a used PCM81 would be better for you. Try the Yamaha SPX2000... or instead of a TC System 6000, maybe a M2000 or M3000 would better meet your budget point while still offering the TC Electronic reverb "sound".

And that's the thing... you can't really say a TC has better reverb than a Lexicon or than an Eventide or a Yamaha. All of those companies make a wide range of units, at various price points... from really affordable to "take out a second mortgage on the house", and all of them make some really fine sounding reverb processors. But you have to be comparing apples to apples. It would hardly be fair to compare a Lexicon MPX200 to a TC 6000.

Some folks prefer Lexicon's algorithms and sound over TC's, etc. etc. At some point, you have to make those judgements for yourself. But if you're looking for units with the best subjective quality that a lot of people prefer, and price be damned, look into the ones I mentioned first - H8000, 960, System 6000, etc.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Best reverb is first and foremost, the room itself.

I rarely use reverb live because most live venues have plenty of the real thing available. Echo, sure. You can usually add echo before natural room reverb and wind up sounding good but adding reverb to a room with natural reverb is overkill. Recording, Rehearsals, sure. Use what you need.

I'm not a big fan of spring reverbs on vocals either. Maybe its because it was the only thing you had on old powered PA heads and most sucked for tone. Early digital reverbs like Lexicon made a huge difference in the 80's (and still do today) I don't think super high quality verbs for live is going to make that big a difference of your typical mediocre live gear when you factor in whatever natural room reverb you may have.

Any opinion about Alesis Microverb II for live gig vocals?

It's not horrible. I used to have one, although I haven't used one in years, but for a small, inexpensive reverb, it should do the job okay. Test it throughly in advance of using it on a gig though - they're old, and you'd want to make sure it's functioning 100% before you try to use it at a gig.

• Members

I have several of the Alesis units. My only complaint is they tend to be noisy. The 18 bit is surely good enough live but compared to 24 bit units the differences are stark. I have a Behringer Composer Pro and an Alesis Midiverb II in my PA rack and though the Behringer has less variety of echoes and verbs, its far cleaner sounding and therefore less synthetic sounding.

Alesis makes a Nanoverb II units that's supposed to take the place of the midiverb. Its got a 52-bit DSP engine and 256 different settings which is quite a bit better then the older Microverbs. Not sure but I think they may have reissues the Microverb's too. I remember seeing a new and old version on ebay but maybe I'm just mixing up the micro and nano.

I have an extra midiverb II I play guitar through. Works out because its stereo and I run two guitar amps and can get some cool sounds from it but its really not the right impedance. Its made for line level and though its got input and output gain levels you can tweak it tends to sound hissy on the front end of a guitar amp. It can sound pretty good in a loop though.

Archived