Ibanez PDD1 DCP Delay

Ray20

• Members

Well, yeah, that seems hugely overpriced. They come up on ebay from time to time, though often without box, at 1/3 of that price. To me the programmable aspect is cool. 16 slots so if you used delay on every track, you could quickly recall an entire set list with ease. I remember someone here found an Italian firm that was selling NOS Parametic Eqs from that series for something like US$40 a piece on ebay.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I remember someone here found an Italian firm that was selling NOS Parametic Eqs from that series for something like US$40 a piece on ebay.

I think that was Dirk_Hendrik.

There's also a module to control these pedals with MIDI

• Members

Originally posted by DiscoFreq

I think that was Dirk_Hendrik.

There's also a module to control these pedals with MIDI

Well, it was a lot of people.

I bought one of those.

And it wasn't an Italian firm so much as this one Italian dude selling a few on eBay.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

And it wasn't an Italian firm so much as this one Italian dude selling a few on eBay.

I gotta pedal for a-you...

mobster.gif

It's probably a longshot, but anybody compare one of these to an Ibanez DML?

• Members

Originally posted by jove

It's probably a longshot, but anybody compare one of these to an Ibanez DML?

Well, to start off, this one isn't the modulation delay...that's the PDM1.

And yes, I compared it to my DML. I sold the PDM1 because I couldn't get the depth and rate on the modulation just the way I like them. With the DML, it takes about 5 minutes of tweaking to get the depth just right, aided by the fact that it's an analog pot that I can move micrometers at a time to catch the modulation at just the right point.

With the PDM1, the digital controls made it jump from not-enough-depth to too-much-depth.

That said, I've never met anyone else who preferred the DML to the PDM. Either they liked them both the same or they preferred the PDM. They both sound great, and the PDM has the advantage of saving presets. PLus, if it's good enough for Carlos Santana....

• Members

Thanks Sage.

I bring it up because I had some doubts about the abiltiy of those PDM pedals to properly mix the signal/effect as well as the conventional pedals do and also their ability (which you eloquently spoke about) to adjust the parameters as well.

And I did mean the DML version from that series, I just don't kno what it's model# is but am familiar with it's existence.

fwiw: I have a rack unit form Korg (no, not the 3000) that is all knobs (no menus), with the modulation, with other additonal options, and it kicks the snot out of any of the floor pedals.

Of course it is a rack unit, size and all.

• Members

Originally posted by jove

Thanks Sage.

I bring it up because I had some doubts about the abiltiy of those PDM pedals to properly mix the signal/effect as well as the conventional pedals do and also their ability (which you eloquently spoke about) to adjust the parameters as well.

And I did mean the DML version from that series, I just don't kno what it's model# is but am familiar with it's existence.

fwiw: I have a rack unit form Korg (no, not the 3000) that is all knobs (no menus), with the modulation, with other additonal options, and it kicks the snot out of any of the floor pedals.

Of course it
is
a rack unit, size and all.

SDD-1000, I assume?

I have the 2000, which is fantastic. A little more versatile than my 3000, but the tone wasn't quite the same...until I got the SDD-3000 preamp in a box: http://www.psionicaudio.com/main/triad_features.htm

:eek: :eek:

Absolutely nails the tone...

But that's a different topic altogether.

It really depends what you want to do with it. Like I said, I generally aim for that fraction of a percentage of the dial on my modulation depth, and the PDM-1 just didn't quite get me there....it does so more than adequately for others, though.

Definitely worth trying out if you find it for cheap...it's really like a rack unit in a smaller package.

I've been using my TC D-2 recently and that in combination with the Triad preamp absolutely blows my SDD-3000 away in terms of sound quality and versatility.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

SDD-1000, I assume?

mcmahon.jpg

!!!

I had the 3000 and I sold it because of th DML and because of the 1000. Got the two rack units at the same time for a VG price and couldn't realistically hang onto the 3000 with that kind of resale looming. Of course it was a tough sale for me as the 3000 has a few features (like the wave selector :thu: ) and something heavenly about the sound that neither of the others have, for better or for worse.

If I was in a U2 cover band or just dead-set for the sound of the 3000, I woulda kept it no matter what the price. I just didn't have that specific need.

I too use the slightest bit of modulation on the delays, imitating that tape flutter I s'pose, it's a gorgeous sound.

sorry, this is getting confessional....

Never heard that TC unit, but I just love any gear I've ever heard from them.

Good for U!

Thanks for the link to the preamp, gonna go look at it right now.

• Members

Agreed. When I found that the TC D2 had all the features I liked from the 3000, plus modern conveniences like midi capability, tap tempo, and presets, it was a no-brainer. Gotta go with the resale value...especially once I heard the Triad. That preamp was my main reason to hold onto the SDD3k, and once someone cloned it, there was no way to justify keeping the 3000.

• Members

Originally posted by sh333

To be honest, It is a killer pedal and I was planning on keeping it, hence the higher price. That being said I am pretty broke, so drop me an email if you want it and I will "alter" the price for you. Would $195 work for you?

I wasn't planning on buying...I assumed there was a reason a pedal that at least looked like a piece of shit would demand such I high price

I was just curious about it, but thankyou for the offer :)

• Members

Originally posted by Ray20

I wasn't planning on buying...I assumed there was a reason a pedal that at least
looked
like a piece of shit would demand such I high price

I was just curious about it, but thankyou for the offer
:)

Oh, there's plenty of ass-looking pedals that sound great. Actually, that whole Ibanez series, as well as their 10-series pedals. Look like ass, sound like :love:

• Members

Originally posted by Ray20

I wasn't planning on buying...I assumed there was a reason a pedal that at least
looked
like a piece of shit would demand such I high price

I was just curious about it, but thankyou for the offer
:)

No problem :wave:

• Members

Shamelessly hijacking the thread again...

:wave:

Here's another killer rack delay that could go head-to-head with the Korg SDD-1000. Presets and a digital readout of delay time put it somewhere between the SDD-1000 and the SDD-2000 in terms of usability:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300040402986

I had one and the sound quality is excellent. Price can't be beat, either.

• Members

Sage

We had an SDE-1000 in the studio I used to work at, set-up with the tap tempo to dial it into the song tempo. I don't think it has any memory slots. It's a great sounding delay, especially for the price.

I find that a lot of the rack delays have more body than pedals do. Not really sure why or if that's possible, but your ears do the talking when it comes to these things.

We also had an SDE-3000 there, now that is an amazing sounding unit! They still sell for siginificantly more, and for good reason.

It's funny, they all sound a little different ('cause I guess inside, the models all are a little different).

• 1 year later...
  • Members

If these are such a gem and all, I have the modulation delay pedal on eBay and its only at $60 dollars with free shipping. I didn't know that they were exhalted. http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Rare-PDM1-Guitar-Delay-Pedal_W0QQitemZ150285373939QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150285373939&_trkparms=72%3A1031%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Archived