Say goodbye to Captain Coconut 2

Dave Fox

• Members

Go here to read this post with a pretty blue background

Captain Coconut was a dream come true for me. I always wanted to have those three Hendrix effects at my feet. I came up with the idea back in 1992. It was going to be a rack mount unit called the FR100. Scroll down and look at the pictures.

Q: Why stop making them?

A: The original plan was to make 1000 of them. I almost made it there... (Over the years I rejected bad metalwork and a few got lost in the mix, so it looks like CC2 will only make it to around 997). CC2 has been a great product. It's sad to see it go, but I have to free up more of my time to design and build other things. Aside from putting the parts in the circuit boards, I build each CC2 myself. I don't trust others to get it right.

So the answer to the question is this - If anything is going to get done at Foxrox (like answering emails, designing new things, etc..), CC2 needs to get the boot. I'm working closely with a factory in Totowa, NJ, and they will be building my future products for me. They're currently making the Octron pedals. This factory also makes professional sound boards, which are designed by my old buddies from Crest Audio. Check out APB Dynasonics. There's no limit to what this place can do for me. As we say goodbye to CC2, we welcome a steady flow of new things. All built locally so that I can insure the same quality and attention that I've always given to everything I make.

Q: What about the future - will you ever make them again?

A: I've tossed around the idea of a CC3. So there's a chance I'll do that in the future. But for now I've got other ground to cover. My design work is shifting into high gear with CC2 out of the picture. I'm almost done with a new Vibe pedal, Octron 2 is coming (don't worry, original Octron is here to stay), new ZIMcards..other cool stuff... More info soon.

Q: Will FuzzCards still be available?

A: Yes, I'm building up a batch of spare FuzzCards (Hot Silicon NPN, Original PNP Hybrid, and Vintage Germanium PNP). They will always be available.

Q: Will you still service CC2's? What about the warranty?

A: I will always service CC2's. I only charge if a unit has been modified or damaged, regardless of whether it's old and beat up or purchased used. And in cases when I do charge, it's only for parts and shipping. I don't charge for labor unless the CC2 is really screwed up. In most cases you only pay to ship it to me. But that's not the best part -

CC2's main circuit board can be easily removed for service. Remove the bottom, take the nuts off of the 7 jacks, and unplug the connectors. The board comes right out- no soldering iron needed. Heavy duty connectors are used so you don't need to worry about anything falling apart. If a board has been damaged or has failed for any reason, it can be sent to Foxrox Electronics for repair or replacement.

Q: Any service tips for people used and (sometimes) abused CC2's?

A: Yes -

1) Removing the rubber feet - the first 700 or so CC2's have feet that are screwed on from the bottom. After that I switched to adhesive rubber feet. A number of people have complained that it's hard to remove the screw-on feet. Here's how to do it - remove the bottom and hold each nut with pliers and then try to unscrew the screw. The nuts have nylon inserts that prevent them from ever falling off.. and they do a good job. But if you hold each one in place the come unscrewed without any problem.

2) Intermittent signals - if you ever have a problem with your signal dropping in level or just dropping out, the first thing to check is the jacks. In just about all cases the fix is a simple spritz with contact cleaner. In CC2, the switching jacks are used to pass the signal from one effect to the next. This way you don't need to patch them manually. Sometimes they can get intermittent from lack of use, or from dirt and grime from the air. Spray each jack out with the same stuff you'd spray the pots in your guitar and amp with (see links below). Let it drip out and don't let it get on the serial number near the front of the unit - the silver paint will run. Exercise each jack by plugging in and out a few times. This usually fixes the problem for good. Don't blame it on the jacks - even though they're plastic, they're more reliable than standard metal switching jacks. That's the reason I chose them for CC2. The jacks on CC2 (and TZF, and between channels A and B on ZIM) are made by ReAnn, and are commonly used in professional mixing boards. Once you give them a spritz, it's smooth sailing! Note: This problem is very rare with units built after the first 100. That's when I started pre-treating the jacks with contact cleaner.

It's good to have contact cleaner handy.

3) AC adaptor - CC2 uses a 9VAC adaptor. Don't confuse this with a 9VDC adaptor. This one puts out AC at 9 volts, which is converted into 36 Volts DC internally. This is what's required to run the switching relays, the univibe circuit, and the fuzz and octave circuits without any power supply noise. If you try to power CC2 with a 9VDC supply, the vibe will work a little bit and won't sound good, the LED's might light up, but the Octave and Fuzz won't work at all. But in most cases you won't be able to make that mistake because most 9VDC plugs are 2.1mm, and CC2's plug is 2.5mm (same as other products that use 9VAC). If you try to power a 9VDC effect from CC2's 9VAC adaptor, the plug will fit very loosely.. but you will smell heat and smoke, and after a minute the adaptor will be dead. Most 9VDC effects have a diode at the power input that prevents damage.

The fastest and cheapest way to get one is to order from the same place I get them from. Go to www.jameco.com and search for Part # 157041. The last time I checked they were around $6.00 each plus shipping. To make it worthwhile you may as well order a backup or two.

If you're in a part of the world that uses a voltage other than 110V - 120V, then you will need to supply your own power adaptor. Applying the wrong voltage will burn out CC2's voltage regulator and you will smell smoke....don't let that happen! Don't try to power it with a 12VAC adaptor.

Here is the vital information for sourcing a power adaptor that works in your country

Input - whatever your local voltage is.

Output - 9 Volts, AC.

Plug - 2.5 mm barrel-type

Current - 650 mA or higher. 1000mA (1 Amp) is typical.

Other products that use the same adaptor: Line6 POD 2.0, Digitech Whammy, HK Tube Rotosphere A music store that sells those items may have it in stock.

Voodo Labs Pedal Power AC is excellent for powering CC2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some cool pics to look at. I found some old Foxrox artifacts in my storage shed. Here we have my original hand written drawing, a computer drawing, and the first attempt at a prototype for what would eventually become Captain Coconut. That prototype is a mess - I just tossed it in the garbage after taking the photo.

UFC.JPG

FR100.JPG

CCrackmountproto.JPG

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Rid

Goodbye to a deeply fun unit!!

It never failed to make me feel happy, as a young schoolbuy with a fave toy!!!

All the best!

Niels

It pwns the stinking quattro.

:wave:

I kid. Never tried either. Gas'd for both tho.

• Members

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

I lusted after a CC2 for a long time

for some reason I couldn't find the stomach to pony up that dough

even though I would through smaller amounts around so often that I could have easily done it

must have been a psychological thing

:(

+1. Came close on a number of occasions.

• Members

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

I lusted after a CC2 for a long time

for some reason I couldn't find the stomach to pony up that dough

even though I would through smaller amounts around so often that I could have easily done it

must have been a psychological thing

:(

Along with the Electric Smile the Captain Coconut was one of the first pedals that really made me feel the GAS. This was right around when the CC2 started showing up...and the GAS increased even more. I can thank one of my final rounds of student loans and Non-Digital Tom for grabbing mine last year...thank god.

:thu:

• Members

Brother Dave! :cool:

Thank you for sharing what is next for Foxrox Electronics. The quality of your work, and THE TONE speaks for itself. I compliment you for all the great tonal landscapes you have created that have ended up at my feet, on stage, and I have rocked a lot of people with Foxrox creations.

I'm thrilled to know I have one of everything (well actually I have two Hot Silicon Fuzzes because someone sold me a prototype too) and I am thrilled to death I got a CC2 before they went out of production. Perhaps by the time I retire I can fund my 401k with an auction at Christies. :D

Thanks too for posting up some Foxrox memorabilia - very cool peek into the mind of a madman :cool:

I also want to say "thank you" for keeping the production in the good old USA when so many are crossing the ocean and buying substandard PCBs - you are a true American my friend.

It is reassuring to know that this new production arrangement will allow you to create even more sonic madness for all of us gear sluts - thanks so much Dave - for everything you do and how you do it. A real CLASS ACT all the way around. I can't wait to see and hear what comes out next - your products set the standard and the fact that you're an actual working musician will insure that everything else to follow - will make it's presence known and cut through the mix LIVE effortlessly.

You {censored}ing ROCK and you sir - are and always will be - one of the greats in the history of some of the greatest effects ever made. Thanks for sharing your genius. Rock the hell on and keep us posted for the next great Foxrox tone machine!

Respectfully my friend,

Rev :cool::wave:

Archived