Barge Concepts Harmonic Percolator clone

mukuzi

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by jasonfuzz

I've tried a Harmonic Percolator clone before. It doesn't actually sound like anything special to me, so I'm wondering what's so special about it.

To be honest, we had the same initial reaction. We found that adding some extra gain up front can push it closer to the sound that many people expect or are looking for from an Interfax clone, and can take it from a fairly linear amplifier off into some very aggressive, harsh fuzz tones and points inbetween. Even just adding a unity gain input buffer opens up the sound, making brighter and louder. It's probably not a box for everyone, but we dig it.

Originally posted by skatan

I can't wait for it to get here.

We'll be shipping the first units either tomorrow afternoon or wedneday morning, and updating people as orders ship. Reaction has been huge so far, but we should still be able to fill orders in our usual turnaround time, more or less...

Thanks!:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

How'd you get yours for $109? It says $119 on the site.

Also, I don't see a seperate page for the harmonic perculator clone? Is it as big as the bee baa clone or can someone tell me the dimensions of it?

You have to join the mailing list

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

How'd you get yours for $109? It says $119 on the site.

Also, I don't see a seperate page for the harmonic perculator clone? Is it as big as the bee baa clone or can someone tell me the dimensions of it?

We always offer special intro promotions to members of our mailing list. If you'd like in, drop us an email @ mailinglist@bargeconcepts.com to sign up.

The website is still in transition, but there's link on the home page, or you can just click here

General dimensions are 4.7" x 3.7" x 1.18", plus space for jacks (all on the north side) and other hardware.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

In typical BC fashion, it's nicely priced. Wouldn't mind a clip as I have no idea what they sound like

Clips will be up as soon as I figure out how to make my M-Audio Firewire Solo stop clipping. I can accept the fact that my playing sucks, but unnecessary digital noise just isn't cutting it. If anyone has any advice, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

In typical BC fashion, it's nicely priced. Wouldn't mind a clip as I have no idea what they sound like

Go here to get the jist of it.

http://www.tonefrenzy.com/effects/interfax_harmonic_percolator.html

edit:

That does seema little tame for it. Didn't the Guess Who use it on American Woman? But atleast that get you into the ballpark. Maybe check out the Urso splinter clips, that's the only other harmonic percolator clone that comes to mind

• Members

I really like the switchable buffer idea.

I really wish that my double muff had a buffer on the input so it didn't have to be first in my chain. Anyone here have any idea if I could use the the Barge Concepts Percolator (with the output buffer set to OFF) BEFORE my double muff? Or before any of my fuzz face clones?

• Members

I still use the Splinter it's on my board. It's hard to describe what it is really. It has two volume modes. One is called "flame" and it just has a bunch of white noise attached and the other is clean. It has too much middle for me. I have to dial in more trebel with Eq for it to work for some Big Black attacks. It definately has a lot of sustain though. I use it for sound effects for Big Black type stuff. It's like a krackly smooth overdrive almost in some circumstances though. It's definately a nice pedal, lots and lots of sounds. Would be interesting to compare to this Barge Concept model. Especially considering the Barge is only $109.....

• Members

That's pretty much what I want to do when the new pedal gets here. That's the first time I've heard comment on the mids on a percolator clone, I had thought they were meant to be pretty tone neutral.

Still, for $109 you can't really go wrong. I spend more than that on glue for my toupee each month.

• Members

Man, I have the BB-Jr. at first I thought it was medicore. Thats because I was playing it at bedroom volumes. It's true colors shine when you CRANK your amp up!:eek: So far it has kicked a Zvex Woolly Mammoth, Euthymia ICBM Fuzz and EHX Big Muff, Little Big Muff and Double Muff all off my board! If you open it up, you are looking at a work of ART, I have never seen a wiring job done so beautiful in my life, with the exception of looking at a Harry Joyce wired amp!

• Members

Originally posted by 6StrngStrangler

Man, I have the BB-Jr. at first I thought it was medicore. Thats because I was playing it at bedroom volumes. It's true colors shine when you CRANK your amp up!
:eek:
So far it has kicked a Zvex Woolly Mammoth, Euthymia ICBM Fuzz and EHX Big Muff, Little Big Muff and Double Muff all off my board! If you open it up, you are looking at a work of ART, I have never seen a wiring job done so beautiful in my life, with the exception of looking at a Harry Joyce wired amp!

All of the credit for the wiring goes to Barry and Corey. Barry is obsessive when it comes to wiring and parts layout, and we're always very glad to know that people appreciate his skills and effort. Glad you're enjoying the Junior!

Originally posted by purefender07

I need clips!

ASAP! Tomorrow is going to be nothing but building, but I'm hoping I can figure out the problem with our recording setup sometime Wednesday or Thursday.

• Members

awesome -

so you'll sound like Albini once you:

put 80 lb. sandbags into your speaker cabs.

design a high gain amp that flips out at high frequencies.

understand subtle differences between EQ, shelving, mic placement and other such things that make you an expert in bedroom rocking that transfers completely into live situations.

color me tentative.

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

awesome -

so you'll sound like Albini once you:

put 80 lb. sandbags into your speaker cabs.

design a high gain amp that flips out at high frequencies.

understand subtle differences between EQ, shelving, mic placement and other such things that make you an expert in bedroom rocking that transfers completely into live situations.

color me tentative.

:rolleyes:

LMAO! :)

Archived