The greatest songwriters thread!

NoirAbattoir

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

Who?

Award winning poet, and founder/leader of The Silver Jews. Much more than a Pavement side project, the Jews deliver amazing lyrics on nearly every track. A lot of the songs have a high level of humor to them, but there are others (most found on the Jews records that Stephen Malkmus did not contribute to) that are full of thought provoking emotion.

They are worth checking out if you like alternative/folk sort of stuff. Berman puts together the best lyrics of anyone I have ever listened to.

• Members

I really dig this older guy. . .kind of rare from the 60s. . .I think his name was. . .wait, what was it. . .

BOB DYLAN

I can't believe no one has mentioned him yet. He is the singular American songwriting genius. . .

Honorable mention -

Nick Drake
Paul Simon
Jeff Tweedy
Lennon/McCartney
Jeff Mangum
Thom Yorke
Jack White
Ray Davies
Joanna Newsom

• Members

Originally posted by The_Spice

Award winning poet, and founder/leader of
. Much more than a Pavement side project, the Jews deliver amazing lyrics on nearly every track. A lot of the songs have a high level of humor to them, but there are others (most found on the Jews records that Stephen Malkmus did not contribute to) that are full of thought provoking emotion.

They are worth checking out if you like alternative/folk sort of stuff. Berman puts together the best lyrics of anyone I have ever listened to.

I like Pavement. I will have to look into them.

Archived