OT: Christmas music

purefender07

• Members

Hey guys, I took piano lessons for 8 years as long as playing guitar. I am very good at sightreading and was thinking that I would get some songs together for playlist this Holiday season and play around at office parties. I am no classical talent at piano but I have a bunch of songbooks that range from intermediate to advanced. I have a few questions for those of you who have played before around the holiday season.

How many songs should I have in a setlist?

What do people want to hear more: Classical/advanced piano music or just simple Christmas music with a basic vocal melody played on piano?

How much should I charge or how much do you think I will get payed?

Thanks!

• Members

Good idea.

People generally want 50s vocal jazz style (sinatra, nat king cole, etc). It's a party, make it swing. You can throw a few classical pieces in, but unless that is requested, don't make a whole set out of it.

Unless it is some small store, charge at the high end of what you would ask for a gig. Corporate gigs are gold and I kid you not, some players I know earn more in the Christmas/New Year season from these sorts of functions, than in the rest of the year!

Archived