Ibanez TS-9 vs TS-9DX vs TS-7

Inertiatic_SKS

• Members

So what's the pros and cons of these OD pedals? I tried out the regular TS-9 and loved it, but couldn't try out the TS-9DX due to time constraints and the GC I tried it at just didn't have the TS-7. Since the TS-9DX is an extra $10, should I go with it? I can get it cheaper via my friend at the GC.

And what is the TS-7 like? Improved version of the TS-9? Scaled down?

• Members

Originally posted by killyridols

Go with the ts-7. Same exact circuit as the ts-9, plus it has the "correct" chip. Also the Hot mode on the 7 is quite usable.

Plus, by changing two resistor values you get an instant 808

Woah, can a modding n00b do this? I've never done any modding or soldering ever and that just gives me a boner thinking about it.

• Members

Originally posted by molsen

you can easily do the transistor mods. i was a noob modder and added a toggle switch and replaced a capacitor in my TS9 with no problems. joo can doo it mang!

Yup, I did this myself, not too difficult. The TS7 does come with the famous JRC4558D chip, but I've come across two chips that I think sound a good deal better to me. One is the RC4558P (used by a lot of boutiquers) and the other is the TL072. The latter is my favorite of the two. Anyway, yes, the 808 mod is very easy. I went a little crazy with mine, adding on four toggle switches. I would have put in more, but I couldn't realistically fit any more!

DSCN0074.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Eric Dahlberg

It sounds like you're getting the TS9DX for cheap, in which case it may be worth sending it to Keeley. Otherwise, get the 7.

Well, normally, the TS-9 is $100 and the TS-9DX is $110, so my friend said it would probably be $85 with his discount. I think I might go with the TS-7 and get my friend to help me mod it.

• Members

I have two TS7's both have shotty switches, but I bought them when they first came out. I havent heard too many complaints lately about the switches so i guess they have either fixed it or people just got sick of bitching about it.

I owned a TS9DX, and a TS9. The DX was returned, and the 9 was ebay'd years ago. The TS9 sounds almost exactly the same, although to me, the tone control seemed to act a little different.

The biggest difference was the bypass. The ts9 and ts9dx both had a little white noise in the back ground, which i found really anoying at band practice. we'd stop playing, and with all my pedals off i could hear my amp "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff"

I didn't experience it at all with the TS7. It's clean. Not transparent, although not much worse than any other sub $100 buffered bypass pedal ive tried.

• Members

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz

I have a TS9 Ri, i have not used if for three months now !!!

Maybe i am just not a TS9 kinda guy ?
:rolleyes:

I LOVE my Spider SD-1 though !!!

(mean phucker !
:evil:
)

SpiderSD-1.jpg

;)

:eek:

That's one crazy looking SD-1. How does it sound compared to a TS-9? I loved the TS-9 because it could boost my gain a ton and make those pinch harmonics squeal and make my natural harmonics sound better, but it was really only good for lead work (it might've been the way I EQ'd the amp, though) and I like to play rhythm also. Can the SD-1 gimme a good crunch, especially since I have an amp famous for the Marshall crunch? And BTW, I'm thinking about testing out my OD-20 on my amp first and seeing how the Boss models on there stack up to the real thing and how the TS-9 model stacks up to the real thing.

• Members

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz

I have a TS9 Ri, i have not used if for three months now !!!

Maybe i am just not a TS9 kinda guy ?
:rolleyes:

I LOVE my Spider SD-1 though !!!

(mean phucker !
:evil:
)

Holy crap that thing has more switches than my 2 switch Vodka Modded SD-1 (which I absoltutely love,808 mod + clipping and cap bypass). I am definately going to look into that or the Analogman Silver

Archived