Orpheum Fuzz !

GRINGO_LOCO

• Members

OK, so the Orpheum Fuzz schematic came up in a thread today on the www.diystompboxes.com forum ...so I figured I'd do a quick vero layout for it and build one !

Dang, this thing is NASTY ! Pure 60's filth...a totally viable alternative to the Mosrite Fuzzrite and the Shin-Ei FY-2 fuzztones.

I built mine using 2N3903's for the transistors (hfe approx 120)..didn't try anything else. There may be better alternatives out there, but these are cheap, sound cool, and worked just fine ! Also, I swapped lug-3 and lug-1 on the "Tone" pot...just a matter of personal taste.

HERE'S the link to the folder in my gallery...it includes the layout, build pics, and sound clips !

NASTY STUFF INDEED !

Enjoy,

GRINGO

• Members

Originally posted by The_Spice

AWESOME!

Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting to build a fuzzrite style pedal for awhile, and this sounds like a potentially delicious candidate.

Its a truly disgusting fuzz, and an easy build too ! :D:evil:

BTW... there are TONS more fuzz pedals (as well as tremolos, boosters, distortions, etc ) in my Layout Gallery HERE !

GRINGO

• Members

Originally posted by YourHerodDGC

Where do you get your perfboard. I know it's probably common but i can't find any with strips like that.

You can get it HERE ! Its actually called "stripboard" or "veroboard". There is also layouts for perfboard in my PERFBOARD PUB AND EATERY and PCB layouts in my PCB BREWERY !

Enjoy !

GRINGO

• Members

Originally posted by fusionid

nasty chite indeed.
:thu:
Hey gringo, I want to make a 90's phaser but dunno where to get matched fets. I think I rather wait for BYOC than to go to the store and do the matching myself. Any idea where to buy them?

I dont know of anyone who sells the fets "pre-matched", unfortunately.

you could do one of a few things...

1) just build one and hope for the best

2) use sockets where the fets would go and swap out fets till you find the set that gives the best results

3) Buy the BYOC, which includes a set of matched fets

4) build your own fet matcher, as per RG Keen at www.geofex.com

Kou know whats funny to me ? I can't imagine the people at MXR painstakingly matching fets all day so their phasers sound good, and yet nobody reports "dud" phase 90's ! Fets have "always" been all over the place with regards to

characteristics. I wonder how they made it all "work out" ?

Hmmmm...

GRINGO

• Members

Originally posted by The_Spice

I was just looking at the lay out again, and I am guessing that the red squares on the strip board lay out are places where you break the strip?

Yep. I insert a 5mm drill bit into the hole and twist gently by hand. The bit cuts away the copper trace around the hole. Its quick, neat, and easy.

GRINGO

• Members

Originally posted by jimihalen

Gringo! Update me on the Fuzz Face!

Still havent received the enlosure. Usually Kirk is super fast, but he's running slow I guess.

I have an extra FF enclosure here. I guess I can send that one to Bruno so at least "he" doesnt have to wait. I'll just replace it with yours once the replacement enclosure arrives.

Sucks, as I leave for Indy on Wednesday, and I'll be gone till the 26th.

I emailed Kirk about the enclosure, havemt received a shipping date back yet.

GRINGO

Archived