No announcement yet.

Orpheum Fuzz !

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orpheum Fuzz !

OK, so the Orpheum Fuzz schematic came up in a thread today on the www.diystompboxes.com forum ...so I figured I'd do a quick vero layout for it and build one !

Dang, this thing is NASTY ! Pure 60's filth...a totally viable alternative to the Mosrite Fuzzrite and the Shin-Ei FY-2 fuzztones.

I built mine using 2N3903's for the transistors (hfe approx 120)..didn't try anything else. There may be better alternatives out there, but these are cheap, sound cool, and worked just fine ! Also, I swapped lug-3 and lug-1 on the "Tone" pot...just a matter of personal taste.

HERE'S the link to the folder in my gallery...it includes the layout, build pics, and sound clips !

NASTY STUFF INDEED !

Enjoy,
    GRINGO

AWESOME!

Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting to build a fuzzrite style pedal for awhile, and this sounds like a potentially delicious candidate.

Comment

Where do you get your perfboard. I know it's probably common but i can't find any with strips like that.
      music: http://www.myspace.com/jr00

Good Transaction: BmoreTele

Comment

Originally posted by The_Spice
        AWESOME!

Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting to build a fuzzrite style pedal for awhile, and this sounds like a potentially delicious candidate.

Its a truly disgusting fuzz, and an easy build too !

BTW... there are TONS more fuzz pedals (as well as tremolos, boosters, distortions, etc ) in my Layout Gallery HERE !

GRINGO

Comment

Originally posted by YourHerodDGC
          Where do you get your perfboard. I know it's probably common but i can't find any with strips like that.

You can get it HERE ! Its actually called "stripboard" or "veroboard". There is also layouts for perfboard in my PERFBOARD PUB AND EATERY and PCB layouts in my PCB BREWERY !

Enjoy !

GRINGO

Comment

Bump for the nasty fuzz !

Comment

nasty chite indeed.
              Hey gringo, I want to make a 90's phaser but dunno where to get matched fets. I think I rather wait for BYOC than to go to the store and do the matching myself. Any idea where to buy them?
              Strawberry fields...

Comment

Originally posted by fusionid
                nasty chite indeed.
                Hey gringo, I want to make a 90's phaser but dunno where to get matched fets. I think I rather wait for BYOC than to go to the store and do the matching myself. Any idea where to buy them?

I dont know of anyone who sells the fets "pre-matched", unfortunately.

you could do one of a few things...

1) just build one and hope for the best
                2) use sockets where the fets would go and swap out fets till you find the set that gives the best results
                3) Buy the BYOC, which includes a set of matched fets
                4) build your own fet matcher, as per RG Keen at www.geofex.com

Kou know whats funny to me ? I can't imagine the people at MXR painstakingly matching fets all day so their phasers sound good, and yet nobody reports "dud" phase 90's ! Fets have "always" been all over the place with regards to
                characteristics. I wonder how they made it all "work out" ?

Hmmmm...

GRINGO

Comment

I agree. However, I rather not be the one to have the data to argue againt the generally believed ideas. I tend to believe Keen in most things he says being the authority everyone makes him to be. so dunno...

I think I'll prob wait for the kit
                  Strawberry fields...

Comment

bump for a great thread

Comment

Chewy!

Comment

Comment

Clips?
                          "The everyday practice is simply to develop a complete acceptance and openness to all situations and emotions, and to all people, experiencing everything totally without mental reservations and blockages, so that one never withdraws or centralizes into oneself. This produces a tremendous energy which usually is locked up in the process of mental evasion and a general running away from life experiences." --Dilgo Kyhentse, Rinpoche

Comment

Originally posted by skr3ddy
                            Clips?

See post #1.

There are soundclips in the link.

GRIINGO

Comment

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. - Rand

www.mojohandfx.com
                              www.facebook.com/mojohandfx

Comment

Working...
                              X