How much do you watch TV?

• Members

Just curious here, because I'm absolutely sick of it. These days I watch maybe 4 hours a week of TV and that's because I try to catch wrestling (yes I still watch it) whenever I can. I used to just watch the late night shows, but I don't even care about them anymore. Used to watch The Simpsons on weekdays, but most nights I'm out of the house by 6:00 so I miss it anyway. I hardly ever catch the new episodes on Sunday. Every once in a while, I watch Futurama and Family Guy on Adult Swim.

TV just irritates me more than anything. I'd hate it when we were in the living room having a conversation and someone decided to turn the TV on super loud just to see what's on. Not to mention that the TV world is completely overrun with reality shows, celebrity news, and Enzyte commercials. :rolleyes:

I just hate when someone sits there and just watches TV all day. It's probably no worse than me sitting on a computer for hours on end, but I'm not bothering anybody with the brainwashing noise of "Who's my baby's Daddy?" and "How much my favorite celebs spend on dogfood."

Maybe I'm alone in this, but my TV just gets used for video games, wrestling, and the occasional movie. Otherwise, I could do without it just fine..

/rant :wave:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A lot. I'm different than a lot of people in that I don't watch/particularly like movies. I prefer the episodic/serialized nature of TV.
Some shows that are still in production that I watch are Monk, Psych, Scrubs, King of the Hill, Daily Show, Colbert, Veronica Mars

• Members

I watched more TV this week than I have in a long time. And it was just because I was sick. Mostly though I keep TV watching to a minimum, not that I don't like it but because there are so many other fun things to do. I spend alot more time online and playing guitar than I do sitting in front of the boob tube.

• Members

I watch about 30-45 odd minutes of news in the morning while getting dressed, having breakfast, reading the paper, etc, BBC, CNN or Bloomberg. Most nights I turn on the watch the headlines. I typically get in about two full football games a week, plus some highlights. Though at busy times in the year (like november or april), I might get up to four or five games a week.

And that's about it.

I don't watch either movies or TV shows via cable and pretty well gave that up in 2001. Instead I buy or borrow DVDs. Typically I'll watch those one to three nights a week, but if I'm seeing a lot of movies at the cinema, I'll pass on that.

So maybe 20-24 hours in a really heavy week, 7-8 hours in a light week, as little as 2-3 hours a week during the summer months.

• Members

If I lived alone, I'm not even sure if i would own a TV, and i certainly wouldnt have cable.

Usually around lunch time, I'll make a sandwich, and watch TV for about 15 minutes.

Sometimes I'll watch MSNBC or comedy central with my morning coffee while i wake up.

The wife gets home around 4pm, and instantly turns on the TV, and doesnt turn it off until she goes to bed... Even while we eat dinner it's on, so I guess I'm sort of watching it, but not usually paying any attention to it.

If i want to spend some time with her, the TV is usually on, which is quite annoying. This has been a source of fights in the past. Last night she wanted to play cards, but wanted to keep the TV on...

Then when she goes to bed, she watches TV until she falls to sleep. TV actually gets me pissed off and makes me unable to sleep if i try to fall asleep with it on, so unless i'm looking to get laid, i usually have to let her fall asleep first, and then go to bed.

This is going to become a sore subject again... i can tell.

Total TV hours for a week... maybe 20 on a heavy week... typical week less than 10. On a week that my wife isn't around (rare) probably about 3 hours.

That said, I find it hard to believe that the average person watches 4+ hours of TV per day... That is almost 20% of your life that you are just sitting there getting stupider.

• Members

its bad falling asleep with the tv on anyway, I've read it can throw off the cicadian(sp?) rhythem

I don't know but ever since I was a kid, I had to have something to sleep by. Whether it be music, or TV, a movie, etc. Nowadays I have a portable DVD player by my bed that I can turn on and keep low so I can sleep. I usually have a concert on or a Simpsons DVD or something.

• Members

I waste a lot more then 4 hours of my life a day.

I do watch too much god-damn tv.

Though, I'm not sure a wrestling fan should comment on the horrible state of tv these days.
:D

OMG I love your avatar. Sam & Max Hit the Road was the best Lucasarts game ever!

• Members

The wife gets home around 4pm, and instantly turns on the TV, and doesnt turn it off until she goes to bed... Even while we eat dinner it's on, so I guess I'm sort of watching it, but not usually paying any attention to it.

If i want to spend some time with her, the TV is usually on...

...That said, I find it hard to believe that the average person watches 4+ hours of TV per day... That is almost 20% of your life that you are just sitting there getting stupider.

That's how people watch that much TV, they get home, turn it on, leave it on, let it dictate their attention. I've been to plenty of people's homes where the main living rooms are built around the TV and the thing is always on. It's pretty easy to see how they could clock up 30-50 hours a week that way.

• Members

I waste a lot more then 4 hours of my life a day.

I do watch too much god-damn tv.

Though, I'm not sure a wrestling fan should comment on the horrible state of tv these days.
:D

:D I'm sorry, but I really do love watching it. The athleticism, the cheesy story lines.. I love it all. In 2005 I spent hundreds on Wrestling DVDs. I think I've got around 80 or so by now. As far as the shows go, these days I don't worry so much if I happen to miss one. It's just not like it used to be.

Archived