Small Clone or Boss Ce-5 Chorus

Sanda

• Members

I've really become interested in a chorus pedal lately. These two seem to have gotten stellar reviews on the internet. I'm trying to keep the $ around 50-80 with a new or used one. Interesting to hear what you use and your thoughts on one of these pedals....BTW.. I play rythym guitar...

• Members

i'll say it depends on what chorus sound you're going for, really.

i have both a small clone and a ce-2, and while the small clone is GREAT, i find mine is somewhat dark and highlights lower frequencies a bit much. so i hardly consider using it with the neck p/u on my tele. this weekend i found a great deal on a mij ce-2 and was curious to check it out. both are really different, but i guess the ce-2 is much more what i was looking for to begin with. it is a bit thinner and doesn't really get as crazy or can't really do a good leslie-type sound like the small clone can, but i think it suits my needs a bit better. as for the ce-5 i've never tried it, but i can't say i've heard many great things about it either...

• Members

i just got a small clone also. it sounded great at the store, but when placed on the FX loop of my dual rectifier you can hardly hear it (i have both return and send mix at 12'0clock). it doesn't have a level knob :(

this week when i get back to the studio i'm thinking of just putting it front of the amp. i know that's a major "no no" but it doesn't hurt to try.

• Members

Is it? Chorus always go in front of the amp in my book...
:confused:

some of us don't even have a choice... ;)

actually, i was wondering if this wasn't why i wasn't digging my small clone all that much at first. i forget who but someone had mentionned hating the sound of small clone up-front but loving it in the loop...

• Members

CE-5 - I have one

The Small Clone switch is super-clunky, and loud. Also I heard a lot of people had reliability issues with them. Check the review here on HC.

I did a lot of research into mid-priced Chorus pedals, I think (with the exception of the CE-2, which I couldnt be bothered with, cuz of the 12V thing) the CE-5 is the nicest sounding and reliable.

Archived