R.I.P., dad.....

Jon Hiller

• Members

I haven't been around as much lately, my dad has been in and out of the hospital the past month. He passed away and went to be with mom on Friday morning. I've lost both parents within just about 6 months of each other, my world will never be the same. Dad was ready to go, however. He told me a couple months ago that he was tired of his body not being able to keep up with what he wanted it to do..... he could get around the house with little trouble, but he couldn't drive or lift anything, and he'd fallen down during the night a couple times when he got up to go to the bathroom, resulting in a couple bad bruises and a couple of nasty skin tears on his arm. He told me that he was ready to go lay crowns at his Savior's feet and be with mom. He and mom would have been married 64 years on Valentine's day of this year had she lived. Visitation is tomorrow evening and the funeral is Tuesday morning. I'm pretty ok with things right now, although I was home with him (along with 2 of my 3 sisters and my brother) when he passed away and that was hard, and I'm not sure how ok I will be with things when visitation and funeral time roll around. I hope my kids handle this ok, they were pretty torn up when their grandma (my mom) died.

Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to share this and get some of it off my chest. Those of you that pray, any prayers you want to send our way would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

EDIT: That's dad in my avatar.....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't been around as much lately, my dad has been in and out of the hospital the past month. He passed away and went to be with mom on Friday morning. I've lost both parents within just about 6 months of each other, my world will never be the same. Dad was ready to go, however. He told me a couple months ago that he was tired of his body not being able to keep up with what he wanted it to do..... he could get around the house with little trouble, but he couldn't drive or lift anything, and he'd fallen down during the night a couple times when he got up to go to the bathroom, resulting in a couple bad bruises and a couple of nasty skin tears on his arm. He told me that he was ready to go lay crowns at his Savior's feet and be with mom. He and mom would have been married 64 years on Valentine's day of this year had she lived. Visitation is tomorrow evening and the funeral is Tuesday morning. I'm pretty ok with things right now, although I was home with him (along with 2 of my 3 sisters and my brother) when he passed away and that was hard, and I'm not sure how ok I will be with things when visitation and funeral time roll around. I hope my kids handle this ok, they were pretty torn up when their grandma (my mom) died.

Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to share this and get some of it off my chest. Those of you that pray, any prayers you want to send our way would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

EDIT: That's dad in my avatar.....

I am sorry to hear about this. I will pray for you and your family.

• Members

Your dad reminds me of Kevin Arnold's dad from the Wonder Years. Stern and never one to take {censored}, but also the kind of guy that manned the grill and taught you to drive stick. Keep your head up brother.

+1 on this...he looks like he was a man's man...my thoughts are with you.

• Members

Sorry to hear that..time will heal ...lost my dad his dad and my 37 y/o bro all about 4 years ago within a years time...i almost didnt make it after my bro died....dont think so hard about it.remember he wouldnt want you sad 24/7...time will heal...

• Members

Very sorry to hear this Jon. I lost my only sibling about 3 years ago and my mother almost 1 year after that. My Dad's getting up in years but still gets around. It's really hard to lose parents and those close to you. The only thing that really brings resolve and a sense of peace is knowing their destination, it's sounds like your dad certainly did. I've found there is a hidden treasure of sorts to be found when people go on. If you close your eyes and look with the eyes of your spirit, faith if you will, you will begin to see many things about them you didn't realize before and be amazed at God's handiwork in who they were. And separation is always temporary, and shortlived in the bigger picture.

Thoughts and prayers sent.

• Members

You know.. I've dealt with so much tragedy in the past few months. My heart is just extremely weak right now. Witnessing so much pain, death, and horrible circumstances to so many good people. Just today my good friend accidentally hit someone changing a tire on the highway and killed him. I just read the initial post and lost it. Tears just started pouring. It feels good almost, because I haven't done that in a while and so much was built up. My prayers go out to you and your family. At least he is a better place now, a place of perfection and love that we could never imagine here on this earth.

Sorry for being so freakin cheesy but.. it's how I feel right now. Best wishes for you and the family.

• Members

God bless you Jon. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss and hope you can find some comfort in your faith. I can never think of the right thing to say in times like this but for what it's worth, my thoughts are with ya man.

peace.

• Members

Jon, I don't know you but you will see your dad and mom again. The next few days will be tough. Put your faith in God buddy, you will see them again.

For me, the first year was the toughest. Everytime I saw a pic of my dad or picked up something that was his I would fall apart. Time does dull the pain. Find the book, Let Go and Let God by Albert Cliffe. My prayers are with you.

Archived