I saw the saddest thing today. (prayers needed)

EvilSoup

• Members

My Grandma has been recently moved to a hospice because of her terminal colon cancer. She has been strong after surviving breast cancer 10 years ago but she just couldn't make it through kemo for this one.

Anyways I went to see her today and it was so sad I had to cry.

She was just laying there, mouth open, face completely yellow due to liver failure, and she was drifting in and out of consciousness.

I just thought that she looked liked she was already gone.

I had never seen anyone like that before.

It was just so... sad. :cry:

Just a few days before I had been talking to her about school and she seemed so lively. I didn't want to see her like this. :cry:

Thanks so much for any prayers and kind thoughts.

EDIT: My grandma passed on this mothers day, 2am. RIP

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My thoughts are with you. I lost my dad to cancer 2 years ago, it's hard seeing someone you love go through so much agony. Hospice is a good thing to have, make sure they keep her well medicated. I fully believe that our loved ones hear us all the way to the end. I think it helps if you all sit down and tell them that it's okay to go now.

• Members

This is not a fun experience to watch someone you care about dying this way...hang in there.

As raw as this kind of process is, I found it helpful to try and stay as attentive to how I felt about everything that comes up, no matter how unpleasant. When my mum died in a similar way, you could see how she withdrew from her body, from the feet and hands, up through the arms and legs and out through the top of the head.

When they go into their 'final' cancer coma, the nurses will usually know and be able to give you a fairly accurate guess of when they leave. It's quite confronting, and if she has last rights, that's very intense for everyone gathered. Hope she has a nice trip.

• Members

Thanks so far for everyones thoughts.

I want to share a SATB choir piece I wrote for my Grandma, please read the lyrics as they were for her. It meant a lot to her and my Grandpa, I hoped to get it performed for her but it looks like time is running out so. :cry:

My Grandma was an excellent soprano singer and was involved in many professional choirs and some church choirs as well, so it meant a lot that I made a choir piece for her.

On my solo myspace it's entitled "What Comes Next"

What comes next, I can see it

What comes next, I can feel it

What comes next, I can hear it,

What comes next, I won't fear it,

Planned from the beginning of time,

I won't fear it, x3

My time has come, x3

My time has come to pass,

What comes next, x2

Light x14

Up x7

Sopranos: So bright and beautiful

Altos Shining gleaming bright and beaming light is streaming at me

SAT: Shining gleaming bright and beaming light is streaming x2

Shining gleaming bright and beaming

Bass: I have become

All: I am one

--- Sorry, it is in a bad quality finale mp3. I hope to have this piece performed and recorded at some point.

Written for my Grandma.

Sorry for the myspace link, if someone wants to hear it I can upload it on soundclick or yousendit.

It is quite bad quality as finale just has midi sound, but I and my family still find it quite powerful.

• Members

Your description reminds me of what my grandfather looked like the night esophageal cancer took him. It was a rainy night, and my birthday to boot. It's tough to look at a loved one when they're in that state, I just left the hospital. He didn't know I was there anyway.

Just remember, if you catch yourself feeling alright, you might start thinking you should be feeling worse, guilt tripping yourself into more grieving. Feeling good in the face of a tragedy is a blessing, not a disrespect to the departed. Best wishes to you and your family.

• Members

Yeah; my grandma died of colon cancer in a crappy nursing home. She looked like death for weeks before she died. Not a great way to go and certainly painful for everyone else involved too. My sympathies.

• Members

My Grandmother passed away from cancer almost 10 years ago. She was at home until the end, taken care of by loved ones. I was alone with her and holding her hand when she passed...it was a quiet and surreal moment I won't soon forget.

I am very sorry to hear she is going through the same thing right now :(

DK

• Members

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I've lost a few people to cancer over the last two years.

I know it's hard to go through seeing loved ones die.

I'm sure she knows you love her.

Please take care of yourself, too.

It's easy to get lost in the caretaker role, and not take care of your own grief.

I'm say a prayer for you all.

• Members
:cry:

Today at 2:00 in the morning it happened.

God rest her soul.

Jeez, today is the worst possible time for my band's gig we can't get out of. Not only that, but i'm the singer and I have bronchitis so I can't sing. It totally sucks.

• Members

My granda died of cancer, i went to visit him, i was young at the time so i wasn't fully aware of the situation, but i do remember it the mist sad time of my life so far.

Sorry to hear about that.

• Members
My Grandma has been recently moved to a hospice because of her terminal colon cancer. She has been strong after surviving breast cancer 10 years ago but she just couldn't make it through kemo for this one.

Anyways I went to see her today and it was so sad I had to cry.

She was just laying there, mouth open, face completely yellow due to liver failure, and she was drifting in and out of consciousness.

I just thought that she looked liked she was already gone.

I had never seen anyone like that before.

It was just so... sad.

Just a few days before I had been talking to her about school and she seemed so lively. I didn't want to see her like this.

Thanks so much for any prayers and kind thoughts.

That's exactly what my grandfather went through when he was in hospice (lung cancer that spread through his body). Be there for her, let her know you love her, and that's the best you can do.

We stayed at Hospice for I think four days with him, spending the nights in the room. I would sleep on a couple of chairs next to him, holding his hand.

Before he went to hospice I would spend the night at my grandparents house for the last few weeks helping my grandmother take care of him, cleaning, feeding, etc... I would also read to him at night, we both loved Stephen King, so I read the The Dark Tower books to him.

I miss him terribly. He passed away on the fifth day at hospice. One thing I will tell you is that it is OK to let her know that she can pass when she is ready, and that you all just want her to be at peace with herself. Tell her you love her, and will miss her, but you don't want to see her in pain and that it is her decision.

My best wishes are with your grandma, you, and your family.

• Members

I'm an inconsiderate, selfish, disrespectful, uncompassionate, pathetic, attention starved, troll-turd.

Fixed.

Additionally, if we were face to face I'ld bitch slap you like the punk you are, and you'ld be face to ground with my boot on the back of your head in two seconds.

Archived