Repair or Replace: Line 6 Echo Park

• Members

I've got a Line 6 Echo Park delay pedal. While she sounds great and is integral to my sound, the construction quality and reliability of this pedal leaves a lot to be desired. I've barely gigged with it and already, the jacks are fritzing out. They cut in and out randomly.

So my question is, should I look at getting it repaired, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one? I've opened it up and jacks look like they are built into the circuit board - they are beyond my ability to fix. Getting this repaired, I fear, could almost cost the same as the $150 replacement price.

Any thoughts?

• Members

It's kind of sad really: Line 6 designs some truly great sounding gear, but the reliability of the stuff they make is pretty suspect. I don't base this just on the Echo Park. I've got a guitar pod that seems to have a mind of its own, with parameters randomly resetting themselves. The Echo Park shouldn't be having these problems after three years in a studio and two months of gigging. I've got 20 year old boss pedals that have been highly abused and continue to function flawlessly.

• Members

It's kind of sad really: Line 6 designs some truly great sounding gear, but the reliability of the stuff they make is pretty suspect. I don't base this just on the Echo Park. I've got a guitar pod that seems to have a mind of its own, with parameters randomly resetting themselves. The Echo Park shouldn't be having these problems after three years in a studio and two months of gigging. I've got 20 year old boss pedals that have been highly abused and continue to function flawlessly.

Yeah I agree. The Echo Park, Verbzilla and DL-4 have all taken my fancy at some point - they sound like great pedals, but unfortunately, I wouldn't buy any of them due to reliability. The DL-4 is really to expensive to be breaking down on you...

• Members

Just to be clear - this is the original Echo Park, which did not have those little tone core plug ins. Hell, maybe these came up with that system just to deal with these sorts of problems. The one small irony is that the chassis for the pedal is a heavy block of metal. Suppose it could come into use as a weapon if the stage is getting charged by irate fans, but otherwise, total overkill.

• Members

ha. as for the echo park [which i haven't seen the insides], if it's circuit mounted like the dl4, it's easy as hell to just resolder new ones on. however, the 'dock' design might be different - more compressed [obviously].

if that's the case, the new dock approach is definitely the cheapest route.

• 10 years later...

Archived