Digitech PDS 1700 - Is it supposed to sound like this?

• Members

I picked up a Digitech PDS 1700 Flanger/Chorus from the 'bay recently. I got it today and hooked it up to test it out. Whenever I play a note there is almost a distorted element to the sound. The effect is there (chorus or flange), but there is an undercurrent of sound that sounds like a combo of light hiss and very light distortion. When there is no sound coming through, the pedal is pretty quiet (though there is a very quiet digital hum on the flange side).

I am no stranger to older digital effects (and often like their characteristics), but this one is a bit unusual. The oddities I am hearing could be this pedals normal digital artifacts, and if so that's fine. But if this is abnormal, I would like to know so I can let the seller know.

Anyone who has or has had a PDS 1700 please weigh in.

Thanks!

• Members

I recorded a quick sample of the issue I am talking about. There are two sets of samples in the file. The first is two chords strummed then plucked; clean, chorus, flange. The second set is plucked strings; clean, chorus, flange. The issue can be heard most when the flange is kicked in, especially on the second set when the strings ring out at the end.

I have recorded these with a direct USB connection into Reaper DAW software. The chain is: Guitar > Digitech PDS-1700 > USB audio interface. It is a .WAV file at approximately 8 MB. I chose WAV so there isn't any degradation from lossy codecs (like MP3). I have the settings for the effect set pretty conservatively so it is easier to focus on the sound issue I am trying to convey. If your computer speakers aren't very good, you might try using headphones to hear it.

Please reply here and let me know what you think. As I said in the post above, it might be the way this pedal is, as it is "vintage" digital. Especially interested in hearing opinions from current and past PDS-1700 users.

Thanks!

Here is the link:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DBA645AA0A17CE62

• Members

That sounds normal. I have 2 pds 20/20 and they do that.

That suppose that would be the next best thing, as it has the Chorus/Flange AND Delay.

I've gotten more used to it, but it still doesn't sound quite right. I found a good home for it between my two MagicStomps and they compliment each other well. The MagicStomps seems to mask the problem a bit. I intended to use it in the main chain of effects, but with the sound issue, it just won't work out.

I've had other old-school digital units, including a Digitech RP3 and Ibanez PT5 (which had digital effects coupled with analog distortion). I didn't remember them having such prevalent artifacts.

So is the PDS 20/20 all that like its reputation (HC reviewers love it), or just kinda a cool quirky pedal?

• Members

It could just be that way from time. I wanna say one of mine doesnt have the problem as much, but I havent used that one in a good while. The multi play is definitely packed with endless sounds. It covers sounds from ibanez flangers to a poly chorus. It really has so many things going on that you'd want to get a second one. They are just too friggin big! Have you tired using the output 2 only? I liked that flange alot better.

• Members

I hear this as well in the old PDS series, especially with the 1000, 1002, and 2000 series Delays, but including the 1700 Chorus/ Flanger and the 1650 Distortion units. They are all rather noisy and don't age very gracefully - it seems to be a technological transitional period for the analog/ digital stompbox.

Using the 2nd output may help a bit.

When working properly, they sound great and are very useful/ versatile.

cheers!

• Members

So after some back and forth with the seller, he agreed to refund my entire amount, including shipping. Of course, I have to pay to ship it back, but this is life. It's a shame because the pedal was in excellent physical shape -- nearly looked brand new.

I had to show him how degraded the sound was. My original direct recorded .WAV file didn't really illustrate how bad the issue was, so I mic'ed an amp and recorded it that way. Playing through an amp really brings out the problems and I think that is was convinced him.

Here is the mic'ed amp recording of the PDS-1700. It is in a .ZIP file to save some bandwidth. The .ZIP also contains a recorded sample of chorus and flange from my MagicStomp and a .txt file explaining how I recorded.

http://download.yousendit.com/37BA54777E4C01E0

A bit bummed this one didn't work out. But on the lookout for a good flange pedal that leans more towards subtle classic than 80s metallic. Not too interested in the jet-set woosh, but more of the moody constricted side.

Archived