Anybody like the boss fz-2 or boss fz-3?

• Members

I've had both and they are both awesome if your into fuzz the FZ3 sounds alot like a traditional fuzz but the FZ2 and it's various modes can sound a little digital and the gain boost on the FZ2 is great but scares me at how loud it can get, i'm afraid it'll blow my speakers.

• Members

I've had both and they are both awesome if your into fuzz the FZ3 sounds alot like a traditional fuzz but the FZ2 and it's various modes can sound a little digital and the gain boost on the FZ2 is great but scares me at how loud it can get, i'm afraid it'll blow my speakers.

• Members

totally different pedals. the fz2 is ugly, angry, and abrasive. it's based on japanese fuzzes from the 60's such as the superfuzz. i love it. listen to the albums "dopethrone" or "come my fanatics" by electric wizard. there's fz2 all over those guitar and bass tones.

the fz3 is similar to a fuzz face with a tone control. it's a lot smoother and more mellow than the fz2.

• Members

totally different pedals. the fz2 is ugly, angry, and abrasive. it's based on japanese fuzzes from the 60's such as the superfuzz. i love it. listen to the albums "dopethrone" or "come my fanatics" by electric wizard. there's fz2 all over those guitar and bass tones.

the fz3 is similar to a fuzz face with a tone control. it's a lot smoother and more mellow than the fz2.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post

+1. I own them both (for collection purposes) and the FZ-2 is way more nasty. Does have 2 EQ bands that also work in the CLean Boost mode, which can indeed get insanely loud.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post

+1. I own them both (for collection purposes) and the FZ-2 is way more nasty. Does have 2 EQ bands that also work in the CLean Boost mode, which can indeed get insanely loud.

• Members

The FZ-2 has a strong upper octave element to the tone. Perhaps this is what people are referring to when they say it sounds 'digital'. It gives the fuzz a slightly synthy sort of tone, which makes it harder to incorporate into traditional music styles. It's a pretty cool box. Although it doesn't sound like one features wise it's like a tiny BeeBaa.

• Members

The FZ-2 has a strong upper octave element to the tone. Perhaps this is what people are referring to when they say it sounds 'digital'. It gives the fuzz a slightly synthy sort of tone, which makes it harder to incorporate into traditional music styles. It's a pretty cool box. Although it doesn't sound like one features wise it's like a tiny BeeBaa.

• Members

I have them both. They're very different from each other, and I love them equally.

The FZ-3 sounds like a traditional sort of fuzz pedal. If you've ever hard an FX-52, I think it sounds very similar.

The FZ-2 is a lot more "industrial" sounding. The Birthday Massacre uses one of the modes (1 I think) for most of their stuff. Orgy also made extensive use of the FZ-2, in both modes as far as I know. Basically one is mid-scooped and the other is flat. I forget which is which, but I think mode 2 has a slight upper octave kind of thing going on. If you pick really light on the high strings you can hear a little ring-mod sort of sound.

It's also dead quiet, but that's because there is a noise gate built in, which may or may not be to your taste.

I like to run various velocity enabled synth patches into mode 2 to cop distorted Daft Punk tones.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Seth Carmody View Post
Although it doesn't sound like one features wise it's like a tiny BeeBaa.
hehe. good comparison.

i had one and i played the univox superfuzz (the orange one) a few times. theyre very simlair sound wise, and IMHO the fz2 clean boost is lovely. the fuzzes are like said based on old japanese noise bomber fuzzes..

here, i uploaded this old song of mine using the clean boost recorded directly. Its very loud actually.

edit. i use the clean boost straight and then into a od-1 with some srping reverb. but you can hear it all.

we live for love all the time.
an actually pop song from me, no noise, no zvex. from like 2002:

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Seth Carmody View Post
Although it doesn't sound like one features wise it's like a tiny BeeBaa.
hehe. good comparison.

i had one and i played the univox superfuzz (the orange one) a few times. theyre very simlair sound wise, and IMHO the fz2 clean boost is lovely. the fuzzes are like said based on old japanese noise bomber fuzzes..

here, i uploaded this old song of mine using the clean boost recorded directly. Its very loud actually.

edit. i use the clean boost straight and then into a od-1 with some srping reverb. but you can hear it all.

we live for love all the time.
an actually pop song from me, no noise, no zvex. from like 2002:

• 5 years later...

Archived