What Effect on RATM Know Your Enemy Intro?

peckhart

• Members

I don't know for sure, but I'll bump this with my guess: a DigiTech Whammy (I believe he used the sought-after WH-1) with a two-pickup guitar (one with volume up, one with volume down).

Each little double-stop is a power chord, essentially. You could set the Whammy to generate the top note (e.g., you play the roots while the pedal is set to a 5th) or the bottom (you play the top note while the pedal is set to a 5th below you).

Then, you could hammer on each note while your pickup toggle is to the volume-down pickup, then just switch to the volume-up pickup, and then abck to volume-down for the next note.

Does that make sense? It's actually a bit easier than what I might make it sound.

• Members

I read somewhere ages ago that even Tom struggled to play this one. I'd use a tap tempo tremolo and save my wrists. But yeah it's toggling the volume on and off, probably using a whammy so he only has to play one note at a time instead of a power chord.

• Members

For that matter, you could possibly get away with just doing a hammer-on for each note while having the Whammy harmonize it.

I used to do it with hammering on the power chords, but my technique wasn't very clean, and it'sa bit harder to do, albeit less rig-specific.

• Members

I read somewhere ages ago that even Tom struggled to play this one. I'd use a tap tempo tremolo and save my wrists. But yeah it's toggling the volume on and off, probably using a whammy so he only has to play one note at a time instead of a power chord.

he does actually play 2 notes at a time on it, thats what makes it really hard.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

He actually stated for bulls on parade he uses an allen wrench and slides it. not his hand. you can see him do it on the dvd of their last concert, i just went to the reuinion concert last weekend. cypress hill and wu tang opened for them, it was the best, morellos my god.

• Members

He actually stated for bulls on parade he uses an allen wrench and slides it. not his hand. you can see him do it on the dvd of their last concert, i just went to the reuinion concert last weekend. cypress hill and wu tang opened for them, it was the best, morellos my god.

why don't you take some time and ship out those pedals you owe those people from the classified forums, or give their money back to them, you {censored}in theif

• Members

let me guess, you sold pedals on here to get your way into that reunion concert? sure!!! you owe some people some pedals! word of eyes, they're not {censored}ing around.

• Members

you have some {censored}ing nerve asshole. ROT IN HELL.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

His guitars are equipped with a custom 2 way mute switch (signal/mute), doing this with your regular pickup toggle switch is way harder since you have a 3 way switch and it is noisey(pops) when doing it this way. I doubt if he used his whammy on this part though i could be wrong. Its mostly tapping techniques and his mute switch if you ask me. (From what iv'e seen on DVD's)

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread for my first post, but I'm using a POD500x and it has a smart harmony function that unlike the Whammy requires a key and scale as well as the interval. I set it to a 5th above because I'm sure about that part, I tried it first in F# minor since that's the key of the song but it sounds trash, the closest I've come to replicating it is in E major and I have no clue about the theory as to why that is. Does anybody know how I could set up a smart harmony pedal for this song to mimic exactly what a Whammy pedal does? The options are all the keys (obviously), then for scales it has major and minor, pentatonic major and minor, and also the harmonic and melodic minors.

Archived