Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Effect on RATM Know Your Enemy Intro?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Effect on RATM Know Your Enemy Intro?

Does anyone know what Morello used on the intro to Know Your Enemy?
    Current Gear:
    Gibson LP Traditional - Gold Top
    Gibson LP Traditional - Heritage Cherry
    EBMM Axis - Blue Pearl
    '09 Splawn Quick Rod
    Splawn SB25 4x12
    EB Vol-Dunlop 95Q-Analogman BiChorus-MXR Boost-MXR Carbon Copy-Boss NS2-Boss TU2
    www.downloadband.com

I don't know for sure, but I'll bump this with my guess: a DigiTech Whammy (I believe he used the sought-after WH-1) with a two-pickup guitar (one with volume up, one with volume down).

Each little double-stop is a power chord, essentially. You could set the Whammy to generate the top note (e.g., you play the roots while the pedal is set to a 5th) or the bottom (you play the top note while the pedal is set to a 5th below you).

Then, you could hammer on each note while your pickup toggle is to the volume-down pickup, then just switch to the volume-up pickup, and then abck to volume-down for the next note.

Does that make sense? It's actually a bit easier than what I might make it sound.
    juat

Comment

delay and guitar toggle switch, its on the mexico dvd. I find it pretty hard to do.
      Balance

Comment

I read somewhere ages ago that even Tom struggled to play this one. I'd use a tap tempo tremolo and save my wrists. But yeah it's toggling the volume on and off, probably using a whammy so he only has to play one note at a time instead of a power chord.
        Selling:

Mini mixer £25 posted. Good size for pedalboards.
        EHX 24v DC adapter £12 posted
        Dual momentary footswitch £20 posted.
        Telecaster 3 way switch and vintage jack socket. £5 posted

Excellent dealings with AncientMariner, Chucknorris1982, Daysofspeed, Kurd01, Melx, SirLemonHead, and a few of others I can't remember. . .

Comment

For that matter, you could possibly get away with just doing a hammer-on for each note while having the Whammy harmonize it.

I used to do it with hammering on the power chords, but my technique wasn't very clean, and it'sa bit harder to do, albeit less rig-specific.
          juat

Comment

he does the same thing on bulls on parade, sliding his hand on the strings, very much like scratching on a record. I find even that hard to do because I could never get the timing right or the scratchiness loud enough.

Comment

I read somewhere ages ago that even Tom struggled to play this one. I'd use a tap tempo tremolo and save my wrists. But yeah it's toggling the volume on and off, probably using a whammy so he only has to play one note at a time instead of a power chord.

he does actually play 2 notes at a time on it, thats what makes it really hard.
              Balance

Comment

he does actually play 2 notes at a time on it, thats what makes it really hard.

That's pretty cool. I had assumed otherwise.

Much respect to his technique.
                juat

Comment

That's pretty cool. I had assumed otherwise.

Much respect to his technique.

yeah, I'm pretty sure all his pedals have one setting and that's it. whammy being 2 octaves up.
                  Balance

Comment

Whammy harmonizing (in fifths?) with the toggle mute trick. It can be done without a whammy pedal, but Tom does not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-7fl1nJfw
                    Guitar > Cable > Amp

Comment

uh, i'm confused after seeing that now, it was ages since i watched it.
                      Balance

Comment

i read in an interview years ago that he uses a whammy a 5th up on that part specifically, of course with the toggle switch trick
                        good transactions with: notjonahbutnoah, floodstage, gregit, angelhair0, upinflames, stevetron3030, cheesemaster, Dr.Picklebottom, beardcom, bnelly428, 44caliberKid, T_REX

Comment

He actually stated for bulls on parade he uses an allen wrench and slides it. not his hand. you can see him do it on the dvd of their last concert, i just went to the reuinion concert last weekend. cypress hill and wu tang opened for them, it was the best, morellos my god.

Comment

allen wrench is people of the sun
                            Johnson Millennium 250, Peavey Special head, Peavey Transformer 112, Peavey Rockmaster
                            Mesa Boogie Stiletto 412, Marshall 1982a, Behringer 212 w/ V30's
                            Ibanez SZ520QM, Fender Blacktop Jaguar, ESP LTD Superstrat

Good deals thread: Here

Comment

He actually stated for bulls on parade he uses an allen wrench and slides it. not his hand. you can see him do it on the dvd of their last concert, i just went to the reuinion concert last weekend. cypress hill and wu tang opened for them, it was the best, morellos my god.

why don't you take some time and ship out those pedals you owe those people from the classified forums, or give their money back to them, you ****************in theif

Comment

Working...
                              X