Monte Allums DIY pedal mods? Anyone?

tenoken

• Members

Just found out about this site:

http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html

(Long page, so scroll down and see all the stuff he offers...)

I'm all about doing pedal mods right now, so I figured I'd give this company a shot. I mean, for like $20 you really can't go wrong!

I ordered the MXR DynaComp mod kit today. Just wanted to hear some feedback from anyone else who's done a Monte mod.

• Members

H2O mod for the BD-2, and the Opto Mod for the CS-3. Love the results on both, I just don't use the BD-2 all that much. I'm much more of a RAT man than a BD-2 kinda guy. Maybe I wasn't using the right speakers either, but the BD-2 just lacked the OOMPH I wanted out of it. Other than that, it's got a great sound to it, and it's completely changed.

• Members

have a monte dyna comp.

turns an average pedal into boutique killer. on par with the keeley and nicer than the analogman ross clones.

dyna had a little more volume too. pretty sure it just replaces the cheaper parts mxr use compared to keeley and AM to make it, in essence, quite the same.

not sure how true that is, but if you like ross comps, the monte dyna is gonna make you happy.

• Members

I just did his DS-1 Rectifier/Tri-Gain mod last night and turned an orange piece of {censored} into a pretty kickass pedal. I haven't spent enough time playing with it to say whether or not I love it and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread but I will say this, it totally beats the {censored} out of the stock pedal!

• Members

Wow! 2 bucks worth of capacitors and LEDs for only $20 what a bargain!

Ooooch!! But, remember, Adobe Software, or fill in the blank, all come on disks that costs about 50 cents. But it still costs you hundreds of dollars. You are paying for what the code on the disks allow you to do, and for the salary of the programmers. Same way with mods. You're paying for our research and time developing them, AND the parts.

I do sell the instructions for those that want to supply their own parts. Most people just see the ad on my site and the price. What they don't see are the hours upon hours I sit with a soldering iron changing out components on a pedal. Plus the hours of photography and coding for the html instructions. Not complaining, it's a passion with me. I love doing this, but it IS a lot of work.

• Members

I've done three Monte Allums mods - the standard SD-1 mod, the TS7 mod, and just recently the Daddy-O mod. Out of the three the SD-1 is definitely my favorite. I sold the TS7 because even though it was an improvement, it still did that TS7 choked frequency sound. I just barely did the Daddy-O, and it was also an improvement, but I'm finding it sounds better if I just leave the diodes out altogether.

Still, by far my favorite is the standard SD-1 mod (not the 808, not the GT) so far. It just sounds good, especially running into my OLC Professor Tweed.

http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Uma%20Floresta%20-%20SD1%20Proftweed%20SD1.mp3

Archived