So I bought a broken ass dd-5

• Members

So I stopeed at gc today because my accessories girl called me and told me that they got a dd-5 and an analog man bi-comp in. I got there, was amazed by the bi-comp(it was amazing) and then she brought out the dd-5. She said it wasn't working at that she could give it to me for 20 bucks, So I figured {censored} yeah. So I'm not too worried about it, just bought it for a "project", I cracked her open and there was a smell coming out and dried up brown liquid on the plastic guard between the circuit board and the bottom plate. The pedal is not taking power through the adapter slot or a 9volt battery. I'm assuming something leaked/blew up considering that is what it looks like, but does anyone have any ideas? or places to point me

Any help/input would be appreciated

• Members

Sounds like someone spilled coke in it?

Clean it out with alcohol or better yet electronic cleaner.

Clean all the junk off the board and jacks.

Maybe the power jack is hosed if it's not getting power.

Good luck!

Yeah man I think I'm going to clean it later tonight, It smells like acidic(?or basic maybe) inside and it won't come on when trying to use a 9 volt battery or the jack. I hope it'll work once I clean it out

Thanks for the response!

p.s the bi-comp is awesome, really awesome ahahah

• Members

Sounds like a leaking electrolytic cap. Maybe someone tried to power it with higher voltage than the caps were rated for. Clean up all the junk, like analogmike suggested, and see if any of the electrolytic caps (the big blue or black upright cylinders, probably the largest components on the board) look suspicious - crumpled from the bottom and leaking electrolyte, or bulging at the top. There's a couple of pictures in this article that might give you an idea what to look for:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195
The article is about computer motherboards, but meh...

If any of those has indeed blown, just order replacements (the value in microfarads, as well as the voltage rating, is printed on the side), unsolder the old ones and replace them with the new ones. Remember that electrolytic caps are polarised, so take note of which lead goes where.

Archived