Klon Centaur for sale: $350 at Guitar Center

upinflames

• Members

I would like to know more about the Klon Centaur. Who owns one, and why is it so expensive and sought-after? I know that Andy Summers uses one recently. I know that it is supposed to overdrive your signal without masking the original tone of your amp and guitar. I've read elsewhere that it is all hype.

It's a super-cool looking pedal, and I'm a Sagittarius :rolleyes:, but what are some advantages to spending $350 on one of these babies? What famous songs use it?

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Not sure if everyone's seen this, but the Klon Centaur has been discontinued and is going to be re-released in a smaller package. In the meantime, from a clean boost function...I've found the Burriss Boostier to be an awesome alternative. It has the input/output gain controls and high-cut. You can get a very warm clean boost type of tone that is awesome for leads...especially Scofield-esque tones.

• Members

Not sure if everyone's seen this, but the
has been discontinued and is going to be re-released in a smaller package. In the meantime, from a clean boost function...I've found the Burriss Boostier to be an awesome alternative. It has the input/output gain controls and high-cut. You can get a very warm clean boost type of tone that is awesome for leads...especially Scofield-esque tones.

don't fret they are releasing a new klon sometime in 2010

• Members

I would like to know more about the Klon Centaur. Who owns one, and why is it so expensive and sought-after? I know that Andy Summers uses one recently. I know that it is supposed to overdrive your signal without masking the original tone of your amp and guitar. I've read elsewhere that it is all hype.

It's a super-cool looking pedal, and I'm a Sagittarius
:rolleyes:
, but what are some advantages to spending $350 on one of these babies? What famous songs use it?

Hype, myth, marketing...Call it what you want. It's a very nice overdrive pedal, but it's not $350 nice. No pedal in the world is really worth that kinda money. No matter how you look at it, it's still just a silly overdrive pedal, nothing that'll automaticly make you sound like your guitar hero or help you come up with sick riffs or solos. The vast majority of professional/touring/recording guitarists do more then fine with regular old boss/ibanez/dod/mxr pedals, so I have no reason to believe those brands aren't good enough for me. Having a klon might make you look cool around here cause of it's mojo or whatever, but impo you'd have to be filthy rich to buy some snobby pedal just cause it has 'mojo'. That's just me though.

Archived