How do you get your best SURF sound?

mookieunit

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Holy SCNIKES!

From Wikipedia:

Dale is also noted for playing his percussive, heavy bending style while using what are, for most guitarists, extremely heavy gauge string sets 16p, 18p, 20p. 38w, 48w, 58w[1] (standard electric guitar string set may range from 9 to 42).

• Members

Ampeg Reverberocket RI with the clean channel cranked to around 1:30-ish, reverb set just before noon. The guitar I use is wired almost like a strat, except it has a coil-tapped humbucker at the bridge that I use. I usually just leave it in humbucker mode, but sometimes I'll pull the coil tap switch for a cleaner, single coil sound.

Here it is:

626277348_9a565a25e4_o.jpg

• Members

dale isnt all of surf... and thats stretching it. HE uses thicker gauge, big whop. sick of hearing that 18's crap. its his trademark.

you want vintage stle pickups, or even lipsticktube types. tube fender/marshall amps. short box, quick fill reverbs. paper cone alnico speakers. they need to sound like its dripping and warm. like water crashing on the beach. a good orange, or FET compressor to make you sound confident.

• Members

A Reverb tone control may also be required.
Like the 3 knob reverb on certain fender amps (vibroking) and their standalone reverb.
Some Allen amps have that. My Allen accomplice has Reverb and tone control. Keeping Reverb at around 3 and tone at 12 gives a killer sound.

• Members

I posted a similar thread a few months ago. Great topic...

Here's what I have and how I do it:

I use a MIM Strat (10 gauge strings) into a Blues Deville with reverb cranked. I also employ my DynaComp for crisp, bright and even tone, a Dan Echo for extra reverb thickness and a Tuna Melt tremolo for some subtle, vintage trem.

It's pretty convincing I'd say.

• Members

I posted a similar thread a few months ago. Great topic...

Here's what I have and how I do it:

I use a MIM Strat (10 gauge strings) into a Blues Deville with reverb cranked. I also employ my DynaComp for crisp, bright and even tone, a Dan Echo for extra reverb thickness and a Tuna Melt tremolo for some subtle, vintage trem.

It's pretty convincing I'd say.

Yeah, I like to throw in the occasional tremolo on slow chords. Great vibe!

Do you play the strat on the bridge coil?

• Members

created from a cheap Squire Tele. I gouged out the middle pickup cavity with a Dremel, a flat head screwdriver, and a hammer. Middle Strat Pickup into a Danelectro Reel Echo set to a slapback effect into a Vox valvetronix with a bunch of reverb and/or reverb and tremolo.

• Members

Learned some of my 1st chops from this Man in the early 60's (from recordings I mean) - Dick Dale - and a bunch of Ventures Albums too This guy was a true picker - them other "Zombies" in his band - well who knows - hehe... check out his other videos too he gets down even in his old age - SURF MUSIC BABY... from the USA!

old man here but still pushin' them strings

Archived