How to clean up battery corrosion...

Phil O'Keefe

Anyone have any good suggestions? I had a new set of AA batteries go south and leak inside a remote control. :mad::( Most of the leakage was on to the plastic parts and I got that all off, but there was a little on the battery contacts too. I cleaned them off with Caig Deoxit. I've also used Coke on car battery terminals, but never on electronics. Baking soda might also neutralize it...

I'm just looking for THE best method / suggestion, and appreciate everyone's advice. :wave:

• Members

Baking soda isn't going to neutralize it becaus alkaline batteries aren't acidic. That's why they're called alkaline batteries.

Coke/Pepsi/Vinegar should work since they're acidic. Acid neutralizes base.

I usually just clean it up as well as possible with a Q-tip/paper towels, and let it be, especially on something like a TV remote. The crust on the contacts is still conductive, and it isn't like it's going to make your next battery pop.

• Members

Anyone have any good suggestions? I had a new set of AA batteries go south and leak inside a remote control.
:mad::(
Most of the leakage was on to the plastic parts and I got that all off, but there was a little on the battery contacts too. I cleaned them off with Caig Deoxit. I've also used Coke on car battery terminals, but never on electronics. Baking soda might also neutralize it...

I'm just looking for THE best method / suggestion, and appreciate everyone's advice.
:wave:

Cramoline R5, which they discontinued because of the fluorocarbons, so the new stuff that used to be Cramoline is: Caig R5

That IS the stuff to use. :thu:

Trust me on this Phil

• Members

Baking soda isn't going to neutralize it becaus alkaline batteries aren't acidic. That's why they're called
alkaline
batteries.

Coke/Pepsi/Vinegar should work since they're acidic. Acid neutralizes base.

I usually just clean it up as well as possible with a Q-tip/paper towels, and let it be, especially on something like a TV remote. The crust on the contacts is still conductive, and it isn't like it's going to make your next battery pop.

This is how Internet rumours get started.I sure didn't read Alkaline in Phil's post.Did anyone else??:D

• Members

This is how Internet rumours get started.I sure didn't read Alkaline in Phil's post.Did anyone else??
:D

I assumed alkaline since he just said AA batteries without specifying a type, and alkaline is the most common.

There are people in this thread suggesting both acidic and basic substances because it neutralizes the leakage from the batteries. Assuming that actually matters, it's got to be one or the other. If it's an alkaline battery it's the acidic stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery

Alkaline batteries leak KOH, a strong base.

• Members

I assumed alkaline since he just said AA batteries without specifying a type, and alkaline is the most common.

There are people in this thread suggesting both acidic and basic substances because it neutralizes the leakage from the batteries. Assuming that actually matters, it's got to be one or the other. If it's an alkaline battery it's the acidic stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery

Alkaline batteries leak KOH, a strong base.

:)

It was a Joke Man.Relax. All in fun.:poke:

Archived