Zoom users: Tri-Metal in the G7?

Kassanova

• Members

No. The G7/G9 have a setting called "Extreme Distortion" which, in the PDF user manual partaining to the amp models, actually has a picture of the TM-01 overlaid. However, I can attest that the sound you get is not as high gain nor as well defined as the Tri-Metal's sound. It has a neat character all its own, but you'll be getting a lot of fizz if you use the built-in cabinet simulator. Go to my currently active thread on using hardware modelers with cabinet impulse responses to learn how to get beyond the crappy cabinet modeling Zoom uses.

• Members

I was wondering about it, since the manual implied that. I demoed one a few weeks back but I don't remember hearing any gut-crushing TM-01 tones. It did a couple of models well in my opinion but since I don't actually own one, I thought I'd ask. Sometimes, its all in the tweaking.

I know the digital stuff is frowned upon around here but I had to ask.

• Members

I was wondering about it, since the manual implied that. I demoed one a few weeks back but I don't remember hearing any gut-crushing TM-01 tones. It did a couple of models well in my opinion but since I don't actually own one, I thought I'd ask. Sometimes, its all in the tweaking.

I know the digital stuff is frowned upon around here but I had to ask.

It's a great unit, with some of the better preamp models around (especially for high gain stuff) and, in my opinion, absolutely the best stompbox models you can get in a floor modeling console. They occupy space in the "Preamp" slot, so you can't run one of the stomp box models into one of the amps, but what you get in trade is a degree of realism that none of the other modelers can touch. They're intended to be used exactly like a real stomp box, turning the G9.2tt into a multi-stomp with models of some great pedals, including the Centaur, the Guv'nor, the TS808, the Hotbox+, the RAT, the Fuzzface, the Big Muff Pi, the OD-1, and more (including some pedals with reputations for divisiveness, like the MT-2 and the DS-1). I've had the opportunity to compare some of the models with their respective real counterparts and you would be amazed at how well they've done. The Big Muff Pi, for example, captures its tonal nuances and compressed fuzzy sound better than any other model I've ever heard. The amp models model both the preamp and the poweramp, while the stomp box models just model the stompbox without any power amp, as they are intended, and sound best plugged into the front of an amp.

And that isn't even getting into its amp models, which are also generally great. Just because it won't do the Tri-Metal isn't a very good reason to forget about it. The "Extreme Distortion" pedal module has a different tonal characteristic from the Tri-Metal but is a hell of a metal distortion pedal on its own.

Give it a chance, it'll blow you away. Get the G9.2tt over the others as it has the full complement of models and effects, an additional expression pedal with two axes of operation, plus the amazing Accelerator tube preamp configured to run hot for natural compression and soft clipping before you hit the digital guts at all.

• Members

You have to remove more than 25 screws in order to do so and void the {censored} out of your warranty. And the benefits you get from doing so are not on a par with the benefits you would achieve in a tube amp, because though the tubes are run hot enough to get natural compression and distortion, they are still much closer to nominal clean power than a tube amp's intentionally clipping design.

Uh, in other words, you can do it, but it's a pain in the ass and not worth it.

• Members

You can just turn the cabinet modeling off on the G7 or G9, right?

I love the G7. I don't use the high gain preamps, but the cleans and the stompboxes are pretty right on.

Yep, it's a seperate module from the amp and stompbox sims. I've got a thread running right now talking about how to use cabinet IR with the G9.2tt/other modelers to basically get an incredibly amazing sound for free (after the modeler itself, of course). The preamps in this thing sing with a good cabinet simulation, but the Zoom cabinet simulation is probably the worst of the bunch - though they all suck ASS compared to impulse response convolution. Check it out if you want to take it to the next level with the G7 for recording / computer assisted live usage :)

(Of course, as I mentioned earlier, the Zoom G7/G9 are amazing in front of a real amp with the cab sims off because of how great the preamps and pedals are, so you don't exactly have to get deep into computers to get a great sound with them.)

• Members

What about the GFX-8? Do you know anything about the older Zoom flagship floorboard? Does it sound more "natural" than the G7? Some of the older processors from different companies sound better (in a sense). Could the GFX-8 get the Tri-metal type tones or is it a little too old?

• Members

What about the GFX-8? Do you know anything about the older Zoom flagship floorboard? Does it sound more "natural" than the G7? Some of the older processors from different companies sound better (in a sense). Could the GFX-8 get the Tri-metal type tones or is it a little too old?

I've used it as well. The G7/G9 (or, more specifically, the ZFX3-G2 chip based units) blow it away for sound quality. One thing I love about it that the new ones don't have is that its delay can be set up to hold between patches, while the new ones can't. It bothers me, and it's why I use my own delay if I'm going to be doing a lot of channel switching even though the G9's delays are extremely cool and varied.

• Members

The GFX-8 has a feature most people overlook: custom distortion.

Specs are less than stellar but one could live with it.

Agreed: maybe you could use that "delay input mute" (or something like that) and keep on the same preset instead.

The first thing I'd do when using the bigger boards (like the G7/G9, GT-8 and such) would be assign the hell out of the expression pedal(s) and control footswitch(es) in order to play lots of things without having to change presets.

Maybe you do that already and that's not much of a help...

Definitely right about the extreme distortion... It's really not like the TM-01 despite that description telling it is.

• Members

The GFX-8 has a feature most people overlook: custom distortion.

Specs are less than stellar but one could live with it.

Agreed: maybe you could use that "delay input mute" (or something like that) and keep on the same preset instead.

The first thing I'd do when using the bigger boards (like the G7/G9, GT-8 and such) would be assign the hell out of the expression pedal(s) and control footswitch(es) in order to play lots of things without having to change presets.

Maybe you do that already and that's not much of a help...

Definitely right about the extreme distortion... It's really not like the TM-01 despite that description telling it is.

I appreciate the advice, but I have everything configured like I need it for modulations, etc., and can't free up anything for a delay tail (well, that's not true, some of my patches have it specifically for going from a short and staccato sound to a huge depth of field - usually with reverb mix and decay on the same pedal, with their values defined so as not to become muddy but to become huge). There isn't an easy solution to the problem, because it's a very specific feature that a unit either has or it doesn't. It's why, when I am playing my amp, I have my Korg AX processor at the end of the signal chain configured to cross-patch maintain its reverb trails - I just love how it sounds to change everything but leave in that little tail of what just happened.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

It is impossible to get a fat analog sound out of a multi unit. I actually have one unit that is an exception - the Boss GT3, which uses transistors for its od/dist patches... so it is an analog unit insofar as the stomp box models. The GT5 also has this feature. The COSM modelling is awful... these units were made in the 90's - but at home through phones, I select a JC120 model, which is quite neutral, and get all my gain from the analog circuit. Sounds MUCH better than any digitally recreated signal chain. Live, I use analog stomps into my Mesa F50.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Wow. Its funny to see one of my old threads.

Well, I own one now and have used it quite a bit. If your drum machine has a mono out, you can plug it in to the input jack but you can't get a stereo separation going from the G7.

What exactly are you wanting to do?

Archived