How Do I Refuse a Bid on Ebay?

• Members

I'm selling my SIB EchoDrive on Ebay and a guy with zero feedback has placed a bid that I want to refuse. Not trying to be a prick but, as a seller - I have been fucked around twice now by guys who had zero feedback or unpaid item strikes. There are two bids on it now and the first guy that bid has many purchases and an excellent feedback record. I'd rather lose a couple bucks and make sure the item gets paid for than to wonder and worry.

Yes - I did search the Ebay Help FAQ and it talks about that any seller can refuse a bid but it doesn't say how. I mean, it probably does but I just need to know the quick steps to do this and I don't want to waste my evening trying to search again for the answer when I'm sure some of you already know how. Thanks very much for your help! :cool:

:wave:

• Members

First block the bidders ID:

http://cgi1.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin

Then Cancel the bid:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow

Then set your preferences to stop zero feedback eBayers from placing bids:

My eBay > Preferences > Selling Preferences (on the left) > Buyer Requirements > Edit

CHECK: Buyers who may bid on several of my items and not pay for them

Block buyers who are currently winning or have bought "1" of my items in the last 10 days.

CHECK: Only apply this block to buyers who have a feedback score of "0" or lower.

Check - Apply to all open listings.

That should stop any zero feedback bidders for this and future auctions. I've found that sometimes these options become unchecked somehow, and before running an auction I need to reset them.

Good luck.

• Members

and by blocking these guys how does new members ever get feedback considering no one wants to sell to em?

I always put the "zero or negative feedback bidders email me first or your bid will be retracted/refused" qualifier into my auctions. I've had a few that actually emailed first, and after a couple of communications I tell them "sure place a bid, no problem." I've also had a negative bidder place a bid, refused it, then he did it again. I refused it and figured out the blocking feature, he apologized and that was that.

So I guess new users should try contacting the auctioneer first, and get some communication going before bidding. It helps to establish them as (possible) legitimate bidders.

• Members

So I guess new users should try contacting the auctioneer first, and get some communication going before bidding. It helps to establish them as (possible) legitimate bidders.

In the past as a new bidder (with low feeback, none negative) I did this and the seller let the bid go thru. I ended up winning. The communication is the key in most situations like this.

and by blocking these guys how does new members ever get feedback considering no one wants to sell to em?

Buy some small, inexpensive stuff first and build up your "rep" from that before moving on to the pricier stuff. :idea: OR... if you really want to bid on something, contact the seller first before bidding, especially if they specify no bids from zero feedback folks. If you word it right, and establish good communication and provide good contact info, they may decide to let you bid on it. :)

• Members

On the local ebay you can't block people with zero feedback, just negative. :( You can set up you account to permanently block such people, as well as people registered in areas you won't ship to. I did this after some Russian guy used a expensive BIN and paid with Paypal before I had a chance to react. I was convinced the package was going to go "missing" and he'd make a reverse payment claim against me, and like Rev realised that the little bit of extra money you might make having your items open to such people isn't worth the additional stress.

• Members

Thanks again everyone for your help! Jeff - I just answered your PM - sorry I get behind in emails and PM's :cry:

As a follow up - the gentleman who had the zero feedback PM'd me through this forum and is a junior forum member here. I won't identify him because I don't want to in anyway embarrass the guy - but after getting communication from him, and knowing he's a member of the HCFX Posse - I PM'd him back and told him to go ahead and bid and that I appreciated the communication. :cool:

I appreciate everyone's help - and although my immediate concerns have been resolved - this is a good resource thread for people dealing with Ebay. Thanks again everyone!

Rock on :rawk:

:wave:

• Members

Buy some small, inexpensive stuff first and build up your "rep" from that before moving on to the pricier stuff.
:idea:
OR... if you really want to bid on something, contact the seller first before bidding, especially if they specify no bids from zero feedback folks. If you word it right, and establish good communication and provide good contact info, they may decide to let you bid on it.
:)

ahh ok,cause i havent joined ebay yet but i plan to to get some records and older stompboxes.

• Members

If set your preferences to block zero feedback bidders as I have (see post above), you can still accept bids from individual zero bidders. You do this by adding the bidder's ID to the blocked buyer exception list. So if a zero feeback bidder contacts you prior to attempting to bid, you can add him/her to the exception list and they will still be able to bid, but any other non-approved zero bidder will not.

Linkage here:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderPermitLogin

• Members

Not everyone is a deadbeat. Sorry you've been screwed, but everyone has to start at 0.

and everybody needs to start buliding a feedback rating bidding on pricey booteek pedals, right?

c'mon kids, do you really just not get it :confused:

• Members

c'mon kids, do you really just not get it

I had more than a few questions and uncertainties when I first started using Ebay, and I'm sure I didn't "get it" entirely either.
:)

well the 'do not get it' remark was specifically regarding the starting-with-no-FB thing.

really, when one applies for a mortgage, in person, with no credit history or references, it'll likely be turned down.

car loan, same thing.

fur coat, same thing.

so take it a few steps further, why is somebody who has never even laid eyes on you gonna potentially involve themselves with you, while you;ve got no history, no references, and an inability to simply realise that references could have been built up buying belt-buckles and shoelaces.

i'd think that a bidder who bids against sellers rules, even after he starts piling up references, has still showed an aversion to the logic of reading and paying attention to details. that, imho, aint a great person to do deals with.

Oh, I agree with you L6... but if I remember correctly, the Rev's original auction didn't specify any restrictions on zero feedback bidders. But regarding the importance of building up references (see my earlier post regarding that) and the importance of following the seller's terms and conditions, I'm in complete agreement with you on that!

Archived