GEAR PICS: EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY

damacy

• Members

@ kings arms, auckland

saw them about a month ago. what a great show! i couldn't believe my eyes when they started playing 'first breath after coma' which is one of my favourite eits songs. surprisingly they didn't play much of their newer stuff, but played 4 of 5 songs in 'earth is not a cold dead place' which is my favourite album of theirs. played a few tracks from 'those who...' too ('greet death' and 'with tired eyes...').

anyway, here are some gear pics if anyone's interested. sorry, no photos of them playing at the gig, i was too busy concentrating on the music. :) i had a chance to talk to them in person after the gig though. very friendly and nice guys. munaf said they'd be touring till july, and planning to make a new record after the tour.

2299400999_813d210722_o_d.jpg

michael's guitar and pedals.

2299401009_a0073d15a6_o_d.jpg

mark's pedals.

2299401005_d08a5acd46_o_d.jpg

manuf's setup. big muff russian!

2299401019_86a1c66825_o_d.jpg

munaf's main delay, de7.

2299401023_876a65b4fc_o_d.jpg

munaf's and michael's pedals.

2299421049_d7e4d1690f_o_d.jpg

mark's guitar. says 'peace' at the back.

2299421051_ba46215fc4_o_d.jpg

mark's fender twin and michael's fender ??? (for guitar i assume) and ampag amps (and for bass).

2299421053_00e159ef23_o_d.jpg

munaf's fender bassman (at the back).

here are the signal chains (from guitar to amp) if i remember them correctly;

munaf rayani (g.)

boss loop station rc-20

ibanez de-7 delay/echo

sansamp gt2

electro-harmonix big muff russian (fuzz)

boss rv-3 reverb/delay

boss tu-2 chromatic tuner

michael james (b. & g.)

morley (a/b box to switch between his guitar and bass?)

boss os-2 overdrive/distortion

boss rc-20 loop station

line6 dl4 delay

boss rv-3 reverb/delay

mark smith (g.)

sansamp gt2

boss loop station rc-20

expression pedal for his dl-4?

line6 dl4 delay

boss os-2 overdrive/distortion

boss rv-3 reverb/delay

:wave:

• Members

Wait... You can sound great and not have all boutique effects? This is mind blowing. I DEMAND ANSWERS!

What a refreshing list of gear.

haha, i know. i was surprised too. i remember at least a few people here saying boss os-2 as 'worst pedal ever', but they sounded fantastic tone-wise.

• Members

Yeah they get some sweet sounds that's for sure. At performance volume pretty much any complaints about Boss being noisy or tone sucking are void anyway.

Sometimes people forget that sitting/standing close to their amp, with single coils, in a fluorescent lit room, at lower volumes with the gain turned up a bit more to make up for lack of body...

Things get noiser.

That being said, I still am buying a Loop-Master used this weekend for some stuff that I've noticed adding a lot of noise to my line.

Interesting that they use the OS-2. My personal favorite of the Boss gain stuff is in the sig...

I've got a little mod a friend gave me (well known amp guy who doesn't want this out there quite yet) that has got me excited.

At the same time, my Two-Headed Monsterpiece, especially the NPN side, makes the OD-3 look a little redundant at the moment even if I can find one.

• Members

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY WERE IN NZ?!?!

DAMNIT!!!!

I just saw jakob last night, they played with Kahu and Operation Rolling Thunder.

Kahu had some cool effects sounds but because it was only a guy it needed something else.

Operation Rolling Thunder ere Pretty freakin sweet! the drummer is a machine!

Then there was Jakob! Jeff Boyle's amazing swells had me watching him all night. The Bassist had his thundering bass and the drummer creating intense beats.

• Members

Did they play Birth and Death of the Day?

no, they didn't. i remember they played 'welcome, ghosts' though (the second track of the new album). but my friend who went to see them in sydney told me that they played like 4 or 5 songs from the album, including 'birth and death of the day'.

• Members

What? Boss is good. Great sometimes even. But to say it sounds the best or nothing cuts through better is misguided also.

not from my experience its not...... i have tried LOTS of expensive shit. LOTS. IMO the above couldn't be more true..... :wave:

• Members

The gear they use is not as surprising as the fact that they all use basically the SAME gear...wow.

but honestly, the RV-3, DE7 and so on are only evidence to the fact that you don't need horrendously expensive {censored} to make what you want to say sound amazing. Makes me wish I wasn't lending out my DE7 right now...

Archived