Best real tube-sound distortion pedal?

animal69

• Members

Depends on how much you want to spend, like anything else. Radial makes some great tube overdrive pedals but they're pricey. Prices range all over the place, and more expensive or "boutique" does not necessarily mean better. I like these two for less than a hundred bucks:

Green.jpg

ScreaminBlues.jpg

• Members
Depends on how much you want to spend, like anything else. Radial makes some great tube overdrive pedals but they're pricey. Prices range all over the place, and more expensive or "boutique" does not necessarily mean better. I like these two for less than a hundred bucks:

Green.jpg

ScreaminBlues.jpg

Are Digitech's pedals all digital?

• Members

I have to say I honestly wouldnt ever buy a Digitech pedal. Maybe a delay, but as far as dirt. Ill pass.

What kind of amp do you have? Buying tube-like pedals wont always give you a tube sound if you dont have a tube amp.

• Members

Outside of the Bad Monkey, Digitech doesn't make a good dirt pedal. I wouldn't even call the Bad Monkey "tube like"..more of a boost.

Get a Real Tube by Tubeworks...that black and yellow pedal. It is gritty but you can put a 12at7 in it and it sounds better.

The Boss SD-1 is a good tube sounding overdrive and sound even better with a few minor mods.

Personally, I like the new MXR Distortion III. I've been buying and trying overdrives and distortions for the last 9 years in the $50-$100 range and it is my favorite by far. It is more of an overdrive, but a very dynamic one and it isn't as harsh as a stock SD-1 can be.

• Members

I'm diggin' MI Audio Gear.... I'd say that sounds rather tube like.

But if you want a tube-like pedal, might I suggest a pedal with, say, a tube in it? English Muff'n, SD Twin Tube, Tonebone, Ibanez Tube King, Damage Control, etc.

• Members

Outside of the Bad Monkey, Digitech doesn't make a good dirt pedal. I wouldn't even call the Bad Monkey "tube like"..more of a boost.

Get a Real Tube by Tubeworks...that black and yellow pedal. It is gritty but you can put a 12at7 in it and it sounds better.

The Boss SD-1 is a good tube sounding overdrive and sound even better with a few minor mods.

Personally, I like the new MXR Distortion III. I've been buying and trying overdrives and distortions for the last 9 years in the $50-$100 range and it is my favorite by far. It is more of an overdrive, but a very dynamic one and it isn't as harsh as a stock SD-1 can be.

What mod do I want to look for on the SD-1? I'm good with a soldering iron, can you point me to a place with instrux?

• Members

Behringer BO100 "tone of a vintage and bluesy tube amp"
:lol:

Behringer truly is a {censored} company. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt because their stuff is cheap but their quality control is crap and their support is even worse. I bought a pair of the B2031A monitors and one of the tweeters has this horrid buzzing. I sent one of the monitors in for repair. Took me a week to get an RA number. The thing sat in the shop for 3 weeks because the repair people forgot about it. When they looked at it I got it back unrepaired with a written response that I "must have a ground loop" in my system, despite the fact that my written description of the problem stated that the buzzing occurred when nothing was plugged into the monitor. Anusholes! Sorry to hijack my own thread but I have visceral response when someone mentions their products. That said an overdrive pedal is hard to screw up so maybe I'll try it.

• Members

I do have to advocate Tonebone pedals here. They are great and really versatile. They also sounds really bad ass in front of a vintage Bassman head with a little bit of EQ. I run one in stereo with my Traynor Combo.

• Members

I'm diggin' MI Audio Gear.... I'd say that sounds rather tube like.

But if you want a tube-like pedal, might I suggest a pedal with, say, a tube in it? English Muff'n, SD Twin Tube, Tonebone, Ibanez Tube King, Damage Control, etc.

I actually have tried the new tube king. It had great potential but for some reason instead of building it with a flat EQ it comes "scooped" which I think is a pretty dumb move. If I knew what I was doing I'd take that part of the circuit out.

Archived