Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best real tube-sound distortion pedal?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best real tube-sound distortion pedal?

What is the best tube-sound distortion pedal? Is there anything better than a TS808 in terms of realism?
    Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Depends on how much you want to spend, like anything else. Radial makes some great tube overdrive pedals but they're pricey. Prices range all over the place, and more expensive or "boutique" does not necessarily mean better. I like these two for less than a hundred bucks:

Comment

the enlgish muff'n is awesome, even though i traded for a TS9

Comment

Depends on how much you want to spend, like anything else. Radial makes some great tube overdrive pedals but they're pricey. Prices range all over the place, and more expensive or "boutique" does not necessarily mean better. I like these two for less than a hundred bucks:

Are Digitech's pedals all digital?
        Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I have to say I honestly wouldnt ever buy a Digitech pedal. Maybe a delay, but as far as dirt. Ill pass.

What kind of amp do you have? Buying tube-like pedals wont always give you a tube sound if you dont have a tube amp.

Comment

Radial Enginering's Tonebone classic and hot british have tubes. Quite expensive, but I've played one, and they're extremely noiseless and adjustable...
            Guitars
            Fender Jazzmaster USA, Ibanez Prestige, Taylor 314 CE
            Amp
            Twin Reverb, Gigrac 300
            Pedalboard
            Diamond J-Drive, Blackout Effectors VST Dual Fuzz, POG 2, Ring Thing, SMMH, Moog Ring Mod, Eventide Modfactor, Deluxe Memory Boy, MicroPOG, Deluxe Memory Man, Cathedral, M9

good transactions with: T3, letsgocoyote, matybigfro, kpd78, heartfeltdawn

www.myspace.com/attic

Comment

Outside of the Bad Monkey, Digitech doesn't make a good dirt pedal. I wouldn't even call the Bad Monkey "tube like"..more of a boost.

Get a Real Tube by Tubeworks...that black and yellow pedal. It is gritty but you can put a 12at7 in it and it sounds better.

The Boss SD-1 is a good tube sounding overdrive and sound even better with a few minor mods.

Personally, I like the new MXR Distortion III. I've been buying and trying overdrives and distortions for the last 9 years in the $50-$100 range and it is my favorite by far. It is more of an overdrive, but a very dynamic one and it isn't as harsh as a stock SD-1 can be.
              PROUD MEMBER OF THE MAZI BEE MILITIA

Great transactions with: JoshuaTSP, badone07, jjpistols, danhauk, Altgtr33, baja85, cadillacman, The_Dali

Comment

The dirt pedals are analog.
                Good deals with - rocket34bg, theweight

Originally Posted by Zachman

I am nice to people here on the forum. What did I say HERE that wasn't nice?

Originally Posted by robeendey

i am dumber now for joining this board. you guys are pretty ill informed on technology of pedals.

Comment

The X-series are all digital. The cheaper dirt pedals like the Bad Monkey, Hot Head, Screamin' Blues and Death Metal are analog.
                  ~ Fear is your only god ~

Comment

I'm diggin' MI Audio Gear.... I'd say that sounds rather tube like.

But if you want a tube-like pedal, might I suggest a pedal with, say, a tube in it? English Muff'n, SD Twin Tube, Tonebone, Ibanez Tube King, Damage Control, etc.
                    Guitars: G&L ASAT Classic Custom & Gibson Les Paul Studio || Amp: Dr. Z Maz 8 Studio
                    Pedalboard: Disaster Area DPC-5 > Diamond Compressor, Skreddy LMMD, Timmy, Turbo Tuner, Strymon Timeline & Flint

My YouTube Channel

Comment

in front of

=

Granted, the pedal doesn't have tubes in it, but the amp does.

Comment

If you want an overdrive without the mid hump and no bass cut go with the Boss OD-3.
                        ~ Fear is your only god ~

Comment

^^^ What the man said.

+1 also for a modded SD-1.
                          Unofficial member of a cheap Chinese clone of teh boosted midz club
                          Ironic user of a BOSS Digital Metallizer since 1988

Originally Posted by iamthearm

pankot your sig is 100% awesome

Originally Posted by Flagg Audio

The hardest word to yell is "moths!" which is good because you hardly ever need to warn a large group of people about them.

Comment

Chandler tube driver, maybe?
                            several thousand dollars worth of gear and about five bucks worth of playing

Comment

Behringer BO100 "tone of a vintage and bluesy tube amp"

Comment

Working...
                              X