Tone Press vs MXR Super Comp

eyeball987

• Members

I know that the Tone Press is much loved but can the Super Comp give close enough results? I really like the blend control on the TP but thought the Attack control on the MXR would be similiar?

I have never played a Barber, but I own the Super Comp and that's not really what the attack knob does. That basically changes how hot the signal has to be to begin affecting the output- "threshold" if you're familiar with outboard compressors. If I understand the Tone Press correctly, it blends in clean signal so it's not really the same thing.

The Super comp is pretty good sounding but noisy. I'll be replacing it soon.

• Members

When you blend in the dry, what you get, in effect is an upward compressor (it's an old "console trick") so yeah, the attack control doesn't really d the same thing

I am under the impression (grain of salt) the the BYOC guys make a comp with a blend control

there is the option of splitting/mixing externally, but that seems like a bit of overhead you probably don't want

• Members

When you blend in the dry, what you get, in effect is an upward compressor (it's an old "console trick") so yeah, the attack control doesn't really d the same thing

I am under the impression (grain of salt) the the BYOC guys make a comp with a blend control

there is the option of splitting/mixing externally, but that seems like a bit of overhead you probably don't want

The BYOC looks pretty cool except that I am going to struggle to replace the pick ups in my tele when they arrive later this week so I can't even begin to comprehend putting that thing together.

• Members

I was torn between a MXR SC and a Barber TP. I never played the MXR but I heard people say good things about it and even some people selling their Keeley comps to get one...I went with the Tone Press though - people here had good things to say about it and I liked the idea of the blend feature.

The TP is my first comp. I see myself as not that big of a compressor user but the TP is pretty nice, the blend is great cause I don't dig the full on Ross sound at all which is what you get when you max the blend. The Tone Press is very clean sounding.

• Members

The Guyatone ST2 has a blend control and it works very well in a nice small package.

I didn't know that these had a blend control. It's an "on/off" switch and not as versatile as the actual blend knob that is on the TP but I could probably pick one up on the used market for half the price of a used TP. I will take a look.

• Members

For what it's worth my HBE CPR doesn't have a blend knob but is very transparent. I dig the blend knob on the TP alot also, but i tend to find that the HBE seems to be just right when I have it on, not to mention they're fairly cheap used ( under $100's ) and their customer service is amazing.

• Members

I didn't know that these had a blend control. It's an "on/off" switch and not as versatile as the actual blend knob that is on the TP but I could probably pick one up on the used market for half the price of a used TP. I will take a look.

Yes it's just an on/off switch so maybe not as versatile, but takes up no space and sounds very good which is ultimately the most important thing.

I've been through loads of compressors over the years and this is the only one I've kept.

• Members

The ST2 is a pretty good little box. Tonefactor had a OS type comp with a clean blend a few years ago based on the Pedalworx McSqueeze. MXR form factor and a quality build would make it worth looking into as well. I have a Tone Press (my third, I think) that I'm going to move (again, I think) over to acoustic. The Maxon CP101 does what I want a comp to do on electric. I love the idea of the clean blend, and I think it's more a compression flavor thing than blend/no blend for me. Anyway, all of the above are quality pieces and certainly aren't going to hurt whatever's going on tonally.

Michael

Michael

• Members

The ST2 is a pretty good little box. Tonefactor had a OS type comp with a clean blend a few years ago based on the Pedalworx McSqueeze. MXR form factor and a quality build would make it worth looking into as well. I have a Tone Press (my third, I think) that I'm going to move (again, I think) over to acoustic. The Maxon CP101 does what I want a comp to do on electric. I love the idea of the clean blend, and I think it's more a compression flavor thing than blend/no blend for me. Anyway, all of the above are quality pieces and certainly aren't going to hurt whatever's going on tonally.

Michael

Michael

Thanks for the replies. I have a Dano comp now and need to upgrade. Most of these can be found used on one of the gear boards for $100 +/- a few bucks.

• Members

Just read a bit about a Visual Sound Route 66 and that looks like a pretty sweet combo also! I need to stop looking and just buy something. There's no shortage of gear ho's around here that would be more than willing to swap for something else.

• Members

The route 66 is the best comp i've heard yet, i'd like to hear the new one as they supposedly reduced noise level

but its very naturala dn sits nice over the origianl tone, dyna comp squashes the living daylights out of your tone, which is great sometimes.

Archived