Best, Yet Inexpensive Tremolo Pedals?

Kikaruu

• Members

I want to buy a tremolo effects unit. However, I don't know what pedal to buy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Right now, I'm looking at the Boss TR-2. It seems simple enough, and I can probably find a used one for around 50 USD. It also has a sound quality rating of 7.5 here on HCReviews.

But, that may not be the best choice. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

• Members

..:Thanks for all of your posts. Unless people have other recommendations, I've decided on the following:

EHX Pulsar

Danelectro Tuna Melt

USED Boss TR-2

Behringer Ultra Tremolo (TR-2 clone?)

..:The Voodoo Labs and the Line 6 seem to be out of my budget... Unless I make more money (READ: save all of it. :o) during the summer when I'm working with my dad. Hopefully, I'll have enough. I know the difference in price isn't that great, but it makes a difference to me.

..:The Carl Martin Surf Tremolo is an option, too, but I'd have to try it first. I'm really looking for a square wave sound, really, but if the CM is as good as Gambit says, I'll have a looksie. :)

..:Any other suggestions?

• Members

sounds gay but try out the moen shakey jimi. might be what your looking for, check out the user reviews theyre highly rated!

"Gay"? Also, it's vibrato, I see, so it's not what I'm looking for. Thanks, though.

• Members

Yeah, I probably should've wrote "good" or "awesome". Something like that, eh?

Tuna melt? Hmmm... A lot of votes for it so far.

"Gay"? Also, it's vibrato, I see, so it's not what I'm looking for. Thanks, though.

Fender has called their tremolo vibrato for over 50 years while they have called their vibratos tremolos. The pedal in question is a tremolo.

• Members

VL is TB I think, while the tr2 is definetely not, if such things matter...people bitch about the boss being a tone sucker, thus the mods....

if classic fender tremolo is sought, consider a t rex trem, used...you might steal one for 110 or so...the lune used...for another fiddy buckets, step up to the plate and get a used supa-trem and end the search..

• Members

I have found that best and inexpensive dont belong in the same sentence when it comes to tremolo pedals. I would go for the dano tuna melt though if you need trem on the cheap.

I would say your tremolo needs are more extensive than most; which is good, you are really pushing the envelope - (no pun intended.) Since I just use a vintage amp style tremolo sound, all I care about is fidelity of sound, and tap tempo, and I think there are a lot of nice pedals at affordable prices.

My recommendation is a shape shifter, if you can get a used one for your price; they are $140 new. If you don't need tap tempo, the Voodoo Lab is the best. The Boss has a great sound, but a VERY noticeable volume drop, so you need to get it modded.

• Members

Fender has called their tremolo vibrato for over 50 years while they have called their vibratos tremolos. The pedal in question is a tremolo.

Oh, okay. Thanks. I was wondering what Uni-Vibe meant (I had a sheltered life, you could say).

• Members

I would say your tremolo needs are more extensive than most; which is good, you are really pushing the envelope - (no pun intended.) Since I just use a vintage amp style tremolo sound, all I care about is fidelity of sound, and tap tempo, and I think there are a lot of nice pedals at affordable prices.

My recommendation is a shape shifter, if you can get a used one for your price; they are $140 new. If you don't need tap tempo, the Voodoo Lab is the best. The Boss has a great sound, but a VERY noticeable volume drop, so you need to get it modded.

I was talking just sound quality and being a pleasant trem. I dont think many of the cheaper ones really sound nice thats all. The dano sounds pretty good though.

Archived