RE-101 vs RE-201 Space Echo

shadowshocker

• Members

I was wondering if there is any difference between the RE-201, and the RE-101 with an additional separate spring reverb. Is there any difference in getting the RE-101 and possibly getting some sort of separate spring reverb tank, as opposed to the RE-201.

First off, I heard that the RE-201 doesn't have the best reverb, but I'm not sure if that's true. But secondly, is there any difference in how the signal is effected when running through the RE-201 with reverb on, or is it essentially the same thing as the RE-101, and then taking that signal and adding it to a built in spring reverb. Thanks

• Members

It's a long story, but a lot of reasons in general. I like to mess with instruments and stuff...Leaving the tape out in the sun and letting it get so warped and baked, then putting it back on the reel...stuff like that, which you can't do with digital. I just like when things can go wrong easier, cause it allows for some stuff that you'd never imagine to do. If I go with the pedal, sure it'd be easier, less expensive, a lot more reliable...but those are all things that keep it sounding how it's supposed to.

• Members

I just like when things can go wrong easier, cause it allows for some stuff that you'd never imagine to do. If I go with the pedal, sure it'd be easier, less expensive, a lot more reliable...but those are all things that keep it sounding how it's supposed to.

Vintage is :cool:

I can't answer your question, but I agree that it would be sweet to have the real thing

• Members

I'm surprised that this forum, of all places, is drilling someone about their motivations for wanting a real analog tape echo. I mean, the COSM model is really great, excellent in fact, but it is not feature identical (the oscillation mode in particular is really lacking compared to the real deal's natural oscillation), and it is after all a digital model - if it is within his means to acquire the original, and he wants the functionality and mystique that it provides, then I don't see any problem with him seeking it out.

I mean, make a thread asking about OD or Distortion, people will poo-poo the shit out of you if you try to recommend a modeling pedal to cover the range of a bunch of other dirt pedals, but the RE-20 gets special treatment :)

Op, I honestly think the bad reverb is part of the charm of the RE-201. It actually sounds cool when you're using it for spaceman style effects, and replacing it with a better or more amplike reverb would compromise the whole package if you ask me. Why not just get a separate reverb processor or even outboard reverb tank? It seems like money isn't the biggest concern for you, here, or you'd be all over the RE-20 instead of the RE-201.

• Members

I'm surprised that this forum, of all places, is drilling someone about their motivations for wanting a real analog tape echo.

I'm definitely more corksniffery about some things, and more compromising on others.

I don't buy into the fuzz pedal or distortion corksniffery. It's just not exciting to me; but with delays, on the other hand, I can hear and feel the differences between them very clearly when using them in isolation, though I'll admit that some of the nuances do get lost in a live or recorded mix.

• Members

I'm surprised that this forum, of all places, is drilling someone about their motivations for wanting a real analog tape echo. I mean, the COSM model is really great, excellent in fact, but it is not feature identical (the oscillation mode in particular is really lacking compared to the real deal's natural oscillation), and it is after all a digital
model
- if it is within his means to acquire the original, and he wants the functionality and mystique that it provides, then I don't see any problem with him seeking it out.

I mean, make a thread asking about OD or Distortion, people will poo-poo the shit out of you if you try to recommend a modeling pedal to cover the range of a bunch of other dirt pedals, but the RE-20 gets special treatment
:)

Op, I honestly think the bad reverb is part of the charm of the RE-201. It actually sounds cool when you're using it for spaceman style effects, and replacing it with a better or more amplike reverb would compromise the whole package if you ask me. Why not just get a separate reverb processor or even outboard reverb tank? It seems like money isn't the biggest concern for you, here, or you'd be all over the RE-20 instead of the RE-201.

Yeah, what happened? Did I stumble into Bizzarro HCFX? You guys used to kickflip-to-frontside-manual over real Space Echoes. :poke:

• Members

Agreed, thankyou for the advice/help. The main concern was whether or not the reverb in the RE-201 was at all useful, and if it was useful, could it be done with a separate reverb tank just the same. I don't generally like killing two birds with one stone when it comes to gear, cause it just looses that control that you have when everything is separated. It's like with multi-effects where you really can't setup the order of effects, and your left with how they are in order digitally.

I think the RE-201 looses a lot compared to the RE-20, simply because it takes away the whole process of maintaining the tapes, and with that comes more ways to mess it up as well. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for the RE-201, rather than the RE-101, but I'll still probably get a separate reverb tank, just cause like you said, it's a different reverb effect altogether.

Thanks again everyone.

• Members

It's a long story, but a lot of reasons in general. I like to mess with instruments and stuff...Leaving the tape out in the sun and letting it get so warped and baked, then putting it back on the reel...stuff like that, which you can't do with digital. I just like when things can go wrong easier, cause it allows for some stuff that you'd never imagine to do. If I go with the pedal, sure it'd be easier, less expensive, a lot more reliable...but those are all things that keep it sounding how it's supposed to.

That's justification enough for me! You didn't say 'sterile' or 'cold'!

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Let's try not to judge boys, you say tomato, I'll say potato..... or something like that. Seriously though, that's why there are so many colors in the world. Tastes and preferences are subjective right? I think there are not too many echo machines that can match that ever so different and colorful sound of analog echoes as opposed to digital ones but that's just my opinion. I would like to try one of these RE's only used the EP3 and lately the MXR CC, great device.

Rock on

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I will tell you that I had a Roland Space Echo RE-301 that I bought- it had been restored, and included a new reel of tape. It sounded great. But, it was rather clean sounding - not nearly as much character as my DMM - and the kicker was that I had the Boss DD-20 right there - I A/B'd them for a long time. IMO, the DD-20 pretty much nailed that Space Echo sound, not quite as close on the DMM, but damn! I ended up selling the Space Echo. Of course, that was a Space Echo in pristine condition with new tape. I was surprised at how little difference I could hear or feel. I kept my DMM though (at the time)

• Members

Wow... my posts in this thread were from Sept 2008. I can't believe how quickly the years seem to pass. That was the summer that Melx and I saw MBV at The Roundhouse. Great memories.

About a year or so later I actually picked up an RE-101, then sold it to Devi Ever after another year or so. It was a beautiful machine, and I only sold it because I wanted to fund the purchase of a Fulltone TTE (which I still have and love).

But I did manage to record one demo with the RE-101, which is still on Soundclick:

http://sclk.co/s55hkv

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived