NPD: Old Ibanez Phase Tone - any idea what model it is?

gambit

• Members

this little thing arrived from ebay today..

98fd_1.JPG

ad79_1.JPG

i have no idea which model phase tone it is, but it's got script logo, an old Ibanez font and the circuit board is in a black plastic case which has Maxon written on it..

sound wise its very nice indeed. if there's any interest i'll make some clips, but a/b/c/d'ing against some other phasers of mine it sounds 4-stage, a bit more pronounced in the mids than my Sovtek small stone (and without a major drop in volume either), and the rate is somewhere between the SS's rate at quarter and 3/4's.

very useable and nice with the slow swirl though.

any idea what model it is? i can't see it printed anywhere.. PT-909/999/9 ? :idk:

the pics are from the ebay auction. i presumed the screws from the base plate were put aside so a gut shot could be taken.. on arrival it seems there were no screws at all. :facepalm: the item description didn't mention this.. i feel a bit misled but also stupid at the same time. :rolleyes:

• Members

It's a PT-999

I have exact pedal, great sounding phaser.

it really is quite groovy. it got the simplicity and same type of mojo as my DOD 201. they just sounds really juicy.

i think it must be a seventies thing. the Boss PH-1r and the Rocktron Orange Peel have this weird thing where they resonate the high frequencies too much at the top of the sweep. kind of like it has dreams of being a flanger but doesn't quite make it :lol: maybe i just like my phasers to be dull sounding.

i just had a play wit the trim pot inside too. and uh.. i wouldn't recommend messing with it. it's a bias control (thought it would be depth only like my DOD :facepalm:).. anyway it has a really small range where the effect swooshes. one side of the fine line is a whomp-whomp kind of wave shape, and the other side is barely audible but screws with the tone. in the 'just right' spot you can hear it go from whomp-whomp to shoomeeooow-shoomeeooow.

i leave it be.

makeover pics coming soon! :eek:

• Members

gotta have the big black knob on a one-knob pedal. also found some rubber feet to stick on it to save it sliding about the carpet.

(i pimped my Bass Big Muff with some silver controls too.. looks better.. i think.)

2z3p2l4.jpg

292xoq0.jpg

Archived