ART SGX 2000 Express - v1.10 changes from v1.05?

• Members

Hi- I have an old ART SGX 2000 Express that I recently dusted off, hope some of you have some experience with upgrading the software/chip. I see that the final version of the software released for it was version 1.10, replacement chips floating around on eBay for around $40. Mine has v1.05 which is what it came with- it is the Express version with 475 presets, and there is a socket for the chip- wouldn't have to mess around with soldering like the original non-Express versions.

I discovered some handy home-grown PC tools on the web that allow changing the settings via MIDI connection (much easier than programming via the clunky front panel). In my digging on the web I've been unable to find a change log or any other info about differences between v1.05 and v1.10. I need to change out the CMOS battery anyway (amazingly it has lasted 14 years!!), I don't mind springing for the software upgrade if there are any substantial benefits.

Anyone know what exactly the difference is between 1.05 and 1.10?

• Members

It was really ahead of its time, I am still pretty impressed with the diversity & quality of the sounds. My pots are a bit scratchy, pulled the knobs & sprayed some contact cleaner on the posts which helped quite a bit, also replaced the tube with a new EH 12AX7, which put a bit more bite into the tube distortion settings but but not a huge difference. I am afraid to tear it apart completely to get to the pots from the inside (it has a double-decker setup of twin PCBs stacked on top of each other and some hard to reach screws, pretty much 100% I will not be able to re-assemble if I dare take it apart that far!).

Anyone have a clue about 1.10??

• Members

try contacting ART customer service
- I have before and they were great in responding (even sending me extras of those little sensor strips for the footpedals on the footboard!)

OK- I shot them an email, their site is full of info that they don't do any service on the older processors, so I was skeptical they would be of much help- we will see! I'll post response here if they provide some info.

EDIT:

Here is what I got back from ART- basically no difference:

No performance benefits, the only difference between 1.05 and 1.10 was the name of the preset as it appears in the lcd panel.

Sincerely,

Thom Davis

Technical Services

Applied Research and Technology

A division of Yorkville Sound

www.artproaudio.com

Creating Audio Solutions Since 1984

Archived