Behringer GDI21 Vs. Behringer TM300?

gibsualdo

• Members

Other than footprint and XLR out/ground-lift etc, does anyone know if there's any difference between these two? They both appear to be Sansamp GT2 knock-offs and from reviews, it sounds as if the GDI21 at least, does it pretty well.

Our guitarist digs my GT2 but hasn't the money for one atm, so for live purposes we figure one of these will probably do for now. We're just not sure which he should get.

• Members

ooh sorry

yeah the GDI21

seems like a clone of the analog DI that tech 21 (sans amp)

makes because of the name of it G-DI-21

but i dont know

Of course, the name implies it's a clone of the tech 21 sansamp, the features and everything, but that doesn't really tell if it's completely analog like the original, so I don't know either :facepalm:

I guess I'll be buying it anyhow :thu:

• Members

So the difference is pretty much the enclosure, XLR out and Groundlift features.

I think so, yes. The same circuit is used in some of their analogue guitar combos, with one minor tweak - one of the cabinet options becomes "flat" which makes sense since the signal is going into a guitar speaker.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I just bought the TM300. The differences are noted above, the box itself is "pedal-sized", no ground lift and the lack of XLR input on the TM300 model. Sounds pretty much the same as the GDI21 and the Sansamp GT2 (and compared to my original Classic Sansamp, too), except I don't think it can be used as a Direct Injection or Cabinet Simulator. The TM300 is purely a guitar pedal for use in front of an amp.

Sound quality wise it's pretty good, though you can only get a clean sound with very low Drive settings on the TWEED "channel" Both Brit and Calif distort even when you have the Clean Switch engaged.

I like it. It does make a great distortion pedal that kind of simulates either a Marshall or Mesa amp, which is what most folks want when they buy a distortion pedal.

Is it sturdy and road-worthy? Eh, maybe. I also bought the DR600 Reverb pedal, and the spring had fallen out of the pedal. I just opened the battery compartment and put it back, and it worked fine. Would I trust them at a gig. Sure, but I "baby" my gear and I do NOT STOMP on my pedals. Some of my gear I've had for more than twenty years and it all still works.

For $25-30, the TM300 is a real bargain. There's no reason to spend $150 bucks on a distortion pedal.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

The TM300 is 99.9% identical in sound to the Behringer GDI 21. It appears that the processor for both of these pedals are the same or very similar. I have both pedals and the TM300 has a very minor boost in the upper midge range compared to the GDI 21.

In Australia, the GDI 21 costs only marginally more than the TM300 but it features a better foot switch, a ground lift, a balanced (XLR) output and comes in a metal housing. The pots and rubber knobs are superior to those of the TM300. In terms of operating both pedals, the knobs and switches are easier to access on the GDI 21.

So why did Behringer come up with two almost identical pedals? I guess that the TM300 is easier to slot into a pedal board than the GDI 21 which is bigger, flatter and has the in- and outputs at the front compared to the side of most other pedals.

For my money, I'd go for the GDI 21 due to much better build quality.

Archived