Foxx Tone Machine VS Super Fuzz

jack harper

• Members

I'm curious to how close these two fuzzes are and if there are and major differences between the two.

Some of these fuzz/octave pedals can sound very similar, mainly because they are all clones of each other

I already have an Ultimate octave, would these pedals (Tone Machine & Super Fuzz) sound the same as my fulltone with the octave switch on? Would I be down grading?

From the Foxx-type and Superfuzz-type fuzzes I've heard, they're pretty different: the Foxx has a far more pronounced octave effect, less chaotic. Superfuzz is more gnarled/effed-up sounding.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

The Foxx can have a really really pronounced octave effect without any pickup or tone tricks to bring it out which is really nice. It can be really cutting or a little mellower depending on how you set things. I like that you dont have to do anything tricky to get it. Just hit the switch and a clear and powerful upper octave is there. The basic fuzz tone is also really awesome and punchy. Lots of gain and volume too.

The Superfuzz is also a cool pedal but the octave isn't as pronounced and I have used some that didn't even get to unity volume which made them hard to use for me. Both cool pedals though.

• Members

The Byoc Leeds Fuzz is a nice super fuzz clone.

I'm a bit of a fuzz freak between my ultimate octave, leeds fuzz, sunface, dano french toast, and bbe free fuzz... just trying to not to buy something that i already have

Your Ultimate Octave and french toast are both based on the fox tone machine with slight changes to accommodate modern parts. The leeds fuzz is basically a superfuzz and the free fuzz and sunface are both fuzz face clones.

• Members

The original (and I assume the Wattson clone) Super Fuzz's are really good at getting you nasty "flip you the bird fuzz". Really raw and really nasty. A garage band Holy Bible in a pedal.

But that's pretty much it. If you're looking for that it will be your number one. As others have suggested it's octave is so-so. Not extremely pronounced, more so with certain settings. If you want more versatility and more refinement the Super Fuzz is most likely not going to do it for you. If you want to sonically puke on the crowd and them to sonically eat your shit, the Super Fuzz just may be for you. :thu:

• Members

a Wattson Superfuzz is an upgrade from anything, I don't care what it is, it's an upgrade

i would agree with this and add that a Wattson Superfuzz is an upgrade from anything, I don't care what it is, it's an upgrade

• Members

it's octave is so-so. Not extremely pronounced,

sethlover

you are the man

but i have to say that imho the octave on the watson superfuzz is amazing

and not just at the 12th fret with that octavia bloom crap

imho the octave on the watson superfuzz is pure :love:

• Members

I've owned a Wattson, an old Foxx Fuzz & Wa & Volume, and now have a Retroman Wolf Tone Machine. As Nitefly said, the Foxx circuit has a more versatile range of sounds. The basic fuzz goes from really mellow to really distorted, like a more fuzzy and less midrangy Big Muff at high settings to an almost fuzz face like sound at low settings. When the "octive" is kicked in the Foxx changes its character completely. Whereas before it was controllable and musical, with the octave it is a wonderful mess anywhere on the neck. The octave is much louder than the direct signal on the neck pickup above the 12th fret.

The Wattson is less fuzzy but still beautiful and nasty. Actually I even liked it with the octave dialed out with the internal trim pot, it's sort of like a silicon fuzz face on that setting.

• Members

sethlover

you are the man

but i have to say that imho the octave on the watson superfuzz is amazing

and not just at the 12th fret with that octavia bloom crap

imho the octave on the watson superfuzz is pure
:love:

No you are the man Jorhay,

Really? I've never owned a Watson but have owned a few original Super Fuzz's and never really thought the octave up was their strength. It's cool in it's own right but not mind blowing. Like I would not put it in the same octave up fuzz category with a good Octavia. I've yet to get my hands on a Foxx so I can't comment. The only thing I have found disappointing about the Super Fuzz are the way notes decay. There's a lot of mushy breakup as they fade off and the pedal does the same thing when you try to clean it up rolling back the volume knob. But for full raunchy fuzz? Super Fuzz's are pure bliss. :love:

• Members

as far as the leeds fuzz goes...

depending on how light or agressive your pick attack is the more pronunced the octave effect is, its tricky but depending on how you dial the pedal in you can get some great tasting octave sounds.

the ultimate octave sounds to me to be close to the Foxx tone machine. with you hit the octave footswitch there is no mistaking it. anywhere on the neck and with any pickup you get down right smooth octave up tone. but with out the octave switch on, the fuzz can get down right nasty and there is plenty of volume to go around.

fun thing to do with the ultimate octave is to turn the fuzz down to a min with the tone around 9 o'clock and enough volume to be a tad over unitly gain, and press the octave footswitch on so its ready to go, then if i went an octave up sound while im playing my sunface, tubescreamer, or blues driver all i have to do is kick on the ultimate octeve and get funkin crazy.

Archived