Morley PFL flanger

blackpig

• Members

I have an old Morley flanger I bought for a few shillings a while back. I was never very happy with it; the effect was far too subtle for my liking. I could never get that mad jet effect or deep chorus from it and was wondering why people made such a fuss of these old pedals.

Just now I decided to open it up and see if anything was amiss. All appeared to be in order and then I noticed the trim pots. Lots of them - about half a dozen. I tweaked a couple and nothing happened. Then I turned another couple and the whole pedal burst into life - wild phase effects, shimmering chorus and a detune effect that's a bit mental so I might have to put a trim pot back the way I got it.

There is surprisingly little information on the net about these things; one guy was looking for $15 for a schematic. Anybody here have one of these pedals?

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I have one. The trimpots are not easy to align correctly, but once you get them set correctly it is one of the finest vintage flangers with a Reticon chip I've heard. More flexible than an Electric Mistress since it has a variable Center knob and treadle control over both sweep and rate.

Highly under-appreciated flanger IMO.

• Members

Hah! It's a mad pedal indeed - I dug it out of a drawer the other day and decided to sell it; I've a mountain of gear that never gets used so somebody else might as well have fun with it. I was googling it to see how much it was worth and this thread came up in the search. I've an old Melos tape echo as well - that's another lo-fi bit of fun.

Archived