NPD! Dallas Arbiter/Sound City Fuzz Wah Face content...with pics.

• Members

Don't know a whole lot about the fuzz wah version but I do know the old sound city wah face with the red fasel inductor like you have is almost identical to the jen crybaby circuit as far as components go. I can't really tell since the pics are blurry but it looks like some good sized polystyrene caps are on your board. Probably a later version of the pedal possibly.

Very nice though indeed!!!!

• Members

Don't know a whole lot about the fuzz wah version but I do know the old sound city wah face with the red fasel inductor like you have is almost identical to the jen crybaby circuit as far as components go. I can't really tell since the pics are blurry but it looks like some good sized polystyrene caps are on your board. Probably a later version of the pedal possibly.

Very nice though indeed!!!!

Was the "Wah Face" just a straight up Sound City branded wah? Do you know when they quit making these, to give me a vague idea? Mid to late-70's, I'm guessing? I was surprised at how little information I found on these online.

The ones I ran across on ebay and elsewhere were considerably more expensive than this one was, but I don't know how much differences in vintage/components/etc. play into that.

• Members

Looks like the wah side should have BC170B transistors and there should be another one in the distortion side of the circuit. It looks like a pretty simple fuzz circuit. The wah circuit looks pretty typical except for the 3900pf capacitors in place of where there would originally be .01uf capacitors, other wise it's a pretty basic wah circuit. The schematic I have on this is from 1972 so it may be a safe guess to say it's early 70's.

Some of the models were also made by Jen and I would suspect that is why some are more expensive than others. I have an old Jen Super Crybaby that is in the box with original paper work that dates to around 1980. It has a power jack ect... so I do know Jen was making the fasel wahs up until then.