Boss me-70 or tonelab le, pls help me decide

Thormind

• Members

Hey everyone, first post:

I'm buying my first multi-effects (and first effect period, only ever played with an amp, for 8 years!) and im hesitating between the two mentioned in the title. I've had the chance to play with the tonelab a fair bit since ive rented it for a month but ive never tried the boss one.

From what i can say so far about the tonelab:

Pros:

-Has MIDI support, i dont use it for now but might be useful later.

-Can plug a headphone in or plug it to speaker/pc line in and get a nice sound

-Tuner seems to be great and can be calibrated as wished

-Has a lot of possible adjustment.

Cons:

-Bypassing the amp-cab effects doesnt produce a nice sound, very cold.

-So many amp-cab to choose from and i cant seem to find a way to cut the distortion on most models.

-the pedal doesnt offer a wide range for adjustment, even after recalibrating it

-It seems i would be limited to use the presets since any kind of manual adjustment takes hours (just finding the wright amp/cab combo...)

-Some effects sound very digital (metal disto...)

-disto can only be assigned to the pedal, not many kind to choose.

ME-70:

-Havent tried it but from what i can read:

Pros:

-More effects?

-Simple to use, tune effects as you would with a normal pedal.

-Seems more robust.

Cons:

-no amp-cab sim means sound wont be good with headphone/speaker/pc line in?

-No midi support means you need an amp and cant plus to speaker or computer for recording?

-A bit more expensive (369$can vs 339$ for tonelab)

-Tuner seems limited since display is only 2 digit?

Thats it. Anyone tried both? Hows the sound with the me-70 if you plug it in a cube style amp?

Tks

Fred

• Members

Don't get the Tonelab unless the amp sims are important. That's what it does best. Even though it sounds really good, its limitations of what effects can be combined seriously hamper its utility as an effects processor.

For effects only, the Line 6 M-13 would be my first choice. It's the most flexible and easiest to use.

Of the two you mentioned, I'd pick the Boss.

• Members

Music type: Blues, old rock in roll (Chuck, Buddy), grunge

Gear: Just bough a Yamaha, dont have the model with me but its similar to a Les Paul but sounds better for the price.

It's the first effect i would ever use. Liked i said ive played 8 years with only an amp. First thing i want is a lot of effect (whats the difference between multi-effect/stomp?). If i have the option to use it with headphone, great. Otherwise ill just plug them straigh to my amp, not a but deal.

So main priority: number of effects, sound quality, ease of use. Budget: 300$-400$ canadian. Must also be available in Canada... (wont order from the net)

• Members

Music type: Blues, old rock in roll (Chuck, Buddy), grunge

Gear: Just bough a Yamaha, dont have the model with me but its similar to a Les Paul but sounds better for the price.

It's the first effect i would ever use. Liked i said ive played 8 years with only an amp. First thing i want is a lot of effect (whats the difference between multi-effect/stomp?). If i have the option to use it with headphone, great. Otherwise ill just plug them straigh to my amp, not a but deal.

So main priority: number of effects, sound quality, ease of use. Budget: 300$-400$ canadian. Must also be available in Canada... (wont order from the net)

• Members

If you want to use it with headphones, then you'll need one with amp modeling.

The general consensus around here it that we prefer individual effects boxes, for a lot of different reasons, but mainly because most think they sound better.

What kind of amp are you running, solid state or tube? What kind of effects do you want, distortion, delay, modulation, etc? If you aren't sure, go listen to the videos on Proguitarshop.com.

The reason I ask, is because you may find out that you only really want one or two types of effects, if that's the case, you'd be better off going individual effects.

• Members

I finally went to store and exchanged the tonelab for a me-70. Tested it all night and it was a good decision. Like i said ive never used any effect before except the disto thats on my amp (cheap, cube). I wanted a multi effects to be able to understand a lot of effects, see how they work together.

The me-70 does the job because the adjustment are presented in a similar way you would find the on single bedals (is that what is called stompboxes?). Now if i find i love/need some effects but dont like how they sound on the me, i can just buy the pedal and put it in line with the ME...

Sound is good so far, most disto are a bit too digital but some are ok. And i can now test a bunch of comp. effects that were missing on the tonelab...

• 7 years later...

Archived