Dregen's amps

• Members

Dregen from Backyard Babies & Hellacopters, for those of you that know him, plays 335's exclusively & i love the sound he has.

I can get a 'general' approximation of this tone with my own setup (see sig), but its nothing compared to his recorded tone on Backyard Babies records, mine is far too transistory sizzly-bright (JCM2000's for you, 20dB ss boost).

Anyone know what amps he plays? I'm guessing he's stuck with the same ones, because he only ever plays 335 Gibsons (different ones) & he's even got his own signature Epi Dot 335.

• Members

Love the Hellacopters and selected BB songs and his playing as a guitarist, but i've always thought his tone sounded pretty much like the 335 through a Marshall....more or less your standard rock tone. It's his playing style that would be the deviation from that formula.

• Members

Love the Hellacopters and selected BB songs and his playing as a guitarist, but i've always thought his tone sounded pretty much like the 335 through a Marshall....more or less your standard rock tone. It's his playing style that would be the deviation from that formula.

less common than a les paul through a marshall :p (slightly)

& i got no problem with a standard rock tone because like you said, any originality in sound should come from the 'playing', as it were.

I like his technique aswell as the other guitarists in the Hellacopters, there's a certain similarity in what they do, & that heavy mixture of rhythm & leads is great with just a straight-up rock tone (plus you can get that out of just about any 'british' voiced amp; they used Vox's & Oranges in later albums, but initially used marshalls when Dregen was with them).

But, just wanted to know which amps he uses, because can't seem to find any info on the web anywhere.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have some pretty detailed information about Dregen's Gear. Dregen did some Interviews in two German guitar-magazines and he said that the gear that he used for the Babies self-titled album from 2008 is basically the same gear that he's using since starting his carreer. Except Diesel & Power (94) by the Babies. And that's the gear.

Amps:

> Fender Bassman Heads - 50watt (Blackface) - modified by Tommy Folkesson - He was using these live until 2009

> Fender Super Sonic Heads - 60watt - Nowadays he uses these amps live

> Fender Prosonic - only in the studio and only on the newer records

Cabinets:

> 4X12" Marshall cabs equipped with Celestion G12 T75 speakers and 4X12" Marshall cabs equipped with

Celestion Greenback speakers - live until 2009

> 4X12" Fender Super Sonic cabs equipped with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers - live since 2009

Guitars:

> Gibson ES335 - Goldtop -

PickUps:

Bridge: Gibson Classic 57plus

Neck: Gibson Classic 57

> Gibson ES335 - Cream White -

PickUps:

Bridge: Lundgren Smooth Operator

Neck: Gibson Classic 57

> Gibson ES335 - Ebony/Black -

PickUps:

Bridge: DiMarzio Super Distortion