Line 6 DL4 Switch replacement... DIY tutorial here...

denracho

• Members

Hello guys, I just want to help for those people that have questions about it. I would also thanks "drasp" for helping me to understand it. It pretty easy and you can do it yourself if your good at soldering stuff. You can order parts at Smallbear look for SPST momentary switch. Here's the diagram i made to explain it better. Again im just here to share my knowledge. I will not be responsible for any damage during your installation. If your not confident send it to DRASP to mod it for you.

switchconfig.jpg

For LEDS installation. You can use any 3mm LED but make sure that you know which side is the positive and negative. Just desolder the old leds and put the new ones in.. If you dont want to mess with it again. talk to drasp..

Hope I could help you people.. PEACE:thu:

• Members

Would you say the new footswitches make a big improvement? like big enough for it to be worth doing?

yup - well the thing is it corrects a failure-prone area

it's not so much a performance improvement as it is a reliability improvement

so if your line 6 unit is working perfectly - no you won't notice

if your unit is starting to fail (the switch occasionally doesn't activate on the first press or something) then you will notice

some may decide to do it preemptively for better field reliability, others may wait til failure

one small detail, the anti-rotation tab (that little finger on an enclosure that holds the orientation of a switch) on many switches are opposite the ones on those line 6 units so you sometimes have to file that off to get the switch in a good orientation..it's really soft though so it's not a big deal...just be aware of it and have a little file handy and check your mechanical installation before soldering

• Members

i think it will be a great improvement.. those mountain switch have high failure rates. so if you use spst.. you will save your time replacing old switches and save you some headaches during live performances.. Reliability always better than looks sometimes but having BOTH is always better...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

May be best to cut your teeth with something a little more simple/cheap. Maybe build a pedal first from a kit? Hmm.

Glad everything worked out w/ yours, denracho, and that you're digging those switches. For anyone considering the change, it's 1,000,000% worth it. SO many of the problems people experience with the xx4 pedals are due to the switches glitching - even some problems powering on, acting erratic, etc.

• Members

Oh, its not, but the only two DL4s I've been unable to fix were destroyed by folks who were digging around w/o a clue & 1) lifted the traces on the PCB leading to the switches and 2) crushed the package of the EPROM chip. Luckily, Line 6 has totally awesome customer support & I was able to get a new chip for the 2nd one. . .

it can't be THAT hard

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Hello guys, I just want to help for those people that have questions about it. I would also thanks "drasp" for helping me to understand it. It pretty easy and you can do it yourself if your good at soldering stuff. You can order parts at Smallbear look for SPST momentary switch. Here's the diagram i made to explain it better. Again im just here to share my knowledge. I will not be responsible for any damage during your installation. If your not confident send it to DRASP to mod it for you.

switchconfig.jpg

I want to do this to my pedal. It looks pretty straight foward but I`m just confused on where to solder the new connections... I the image you show where to connect them but I don't know what's what on that mountain switch image.... Its just 4 circles in the image but in what orientation is that compared to if I look at this image

PCBswitches.jpg

Thanks

• Members

Blue - D

Red - A

Based on the diagram from the first page :poke:

Right, thats what I would guess too but I just want to make sure. The diagram on the first page could also be a view from behind the board or something...

Archived