What Pedals in Isley Brother's "Who's that Lady"?

dgc480

• Members

I love the solo tone on this song. Before you hate on this song, please just listen to the tone dripping solos in this clip.

Soo funky and psychadelic. I found a Fuzz pedal called a Hartman Silicon Fuzz that sounds a lot like the ground-base effect he's using.

http://www.theohartman.com/HARTMAN_BC108.mp3

However, there's a Germanium Fuzz that sounds fuller and more toneful in my opinion. This clip has face-melting tone and sustain.

http://www.theohartman.com/HARTMAN_Ge_NKT.mp3

So, then it sounds like he's using some kind of modulation on top. Maybe an old phase 45? (new stigtronics phaser 45 should do the trick). Unless anyone can tell if it's a phase 90, or I may be way off on the whole phase effect.

thanks for any help, am I the only one who thinks it would be sweet to get that tone? I mean, I do play in a funk band so I'm a bit biased ;)

• Members

the Isley brothers are just too cool for life.

ya'll ever hear the story where Les Claypool was auditioning for "rock band" Metallica and he pulled out his bass and asked them if they wanted to jam out some Isley brothers tunes? Bring back da funk, brothers!

• Members

That would make some sense. Those Jet Phasers were very popular in the funk scene during the 70's but who knows?

The song predates the Jet Phaser by ~2 years according to http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/roland.htm

Srsly; it's was done with a Big Muff into a Maestro Phase Shifter, direct into the mixing board, with lots of overdubs.

• Members

The song predates the Jet Phaser by ~2 years according to

Srsly; it's was done with a
into a
, direct into the mixing board, with lots of overdubs.

My bad. I was pretty sure Larry Graham was using one in the early 70's on those Graham Central Station albums.

Here's him demoing it around 2:00 checkout around 1:00

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

This is a cut

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Ernie Isley is one of my favorite guitarists. If you want to hear what, in my humble opinion, is his best recorded guitar solo, check out a song called "Hope You Feel Better Love". It's from "The Heat Is On" album. They really gave him room to stretch out and cut loose on this one with an extended Hendrix-inspired solo that is absolutely smoking. His own album "High Wire" has some great stuff on it too, if you can find it.

• Members

Mmmm... That song is for getting your freak on. If it really makes that way sexy tone, then that pedal is sex in a box.

IMO its in the top three that Skreddy has put out. So much fuzz and sustain without being real muddy or noisy. Just a great all-around fuzz tone :thu:

• Members

IMO its in the top three that Skreddy has put out. So much fuzz and sustain without being real muddy or noisy. Just a great all-around fuzz tone
:thu:

I love my Big Muff, but it's always been noisier than I want. Maybe a Skreddy?

• Members

I love my Big Muff, but it's always been noisier than I want. Maybe a Skreddy?

Well maybe. Its low noise for a big muff but with a lot of gain and fuzz you'll always have some noise. I like the small size and reliability over the EHX units.

Archived