Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Pedals in Isley Brother's "Who's that Lady"?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Pedals in Isley Brother's "Who's that Lady"?

I love the solo tone on this song. Before you hate on this song, please just listen to the tone dripping solos in this clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1DDgNCLD84

Soo funky and psychadelic. I found a Fuzz pedal called a Hartman Silicon Fuzz that sounds a lot like the ground-base effect he's using.
    http://www.theohartman.com/HARTMAN_BC108.mp3

However, there's a Germanium Fuzz that sounds fuller and more toneful in my opinion. This clip has face-melting tone and sustain.
    http://www.theohartman.com/HARTMAN_Ge_NKT.mp3

So, then it sounds like he's using some kind of modulation on top. Maybe an old phase 45? (new stigtronics phaser 45 should do the trick). Unless anyone can tell if it's a phase 90, or I may be way off on the whole phase effect.

thanks for any help, am I the only one who thinks it would be sweet to get that tone? I mean, I do play in a funk band so I'm a bit biased

Ram's Head Big Muff combined with a Maestro Phaser. Marc from Skreddy Pedals make the ? Lady that is supposed to nail that sound minus the phaser.

Comment

i read an interview with ernie that said it took a couple of days to nail that sound

big muff, maestro phaser and some strange old school studio techniques
      __________________________________________________ _________
      arcadesonfire:
      And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind
      ______________________________________________ _________
      guido61: Nobody wants to be around No Fun Trump
      __________________________________________________ ______
      Zig al-din: The whole concept of a polite political dialogue is an oxymoron
      _____________________________________________ _________
      ​prolurkerguy: Knee jerk + soap box = injury waiting to happen

Comment

weird. I've always heard that it was the Roland Jet Phaser on that one.
        This MH -2 does not face the person in search of a beautiful thing such as the new article.
        A lamp goes on and off at the time of on and off.
        It works perfectly as much as it is surprised to be an old model.
        As for the thing 30 years ago, it can't think of it.
        -stagecostumejpsantabo, ebay scribe

good deals w/ Cadd99, jmgruber, onerailunder, bass_econo, hangwire, TweedBassman, letsgocoyote, bhmcc, pepperduck, Jumbo Fuzz

Comment

Skreddy Ernie + Maestro phaser = that exact tone. The Ernie was named after Ernie Isley.

Comment

the Isley brothers are just too cool for life.

ya'll ever hear the story where Les Claypool was auditioning for "rock band" Metallica and he pulled out his bass and asked them if they wanted to jam out some Isley brothers tunes? Bring back da funk, brothers!

Comment

anyone who "hates on" this song must just hate fun

and kittens

Comment

weird. I've always heard that it was the Roland Jet Phaser on that one.

That would make some sense. Those Jet Phasers were very popular in the funk scene during the 70's but who knows?
                -Seth

www.thesethloverexperience.com

Comment

That would make some sense. Those Jet Phasers were very popular in the funk scene during the 70's but who knows?

The song predates the Jet Phaser by ~2 years according to http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/roland.htm

Srsly; it's was done with a Big Muff into a Maestro Phase Shifter, direct into the mixing board, with lots of overdubs.
                  "The everyday practice is simply to develop a complete acceptance and openness to all situations and emotions, and to all people, experiencing everything totally without mental reservations and blockages, so that one never withdraws or centralizes into oneself. This produces a tremendous energy which usually is locked up in the process of mental evasion and a general running away from life experiences." --Dilgo Kyhentse, Rinpoche

Comment

marc sounds right, you can hear the "direct to board" sound on that solo.....it's a bit ragged and pretty obvious he played direct into the pedals and into the console...gilmour does this sometimes too
                    long, strong, and down to get the friction on......

youtube.com/roccotanto (for pedal demos and stuff)
                    magnatune.com/artists/lvxnova
                    twitter: @bobbydevito

Comment

horrid tone

Comment

The song predates the Jet Phaser by ~2 years according to http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/roland.htm

Srsly; it's was done with a Big Muff into a Maestro Phase Shifter, direct into the mixing board, with lots of overdubs.

My bad. I was pretty sure Larry Graham was using one in the early 70's on those Graham Central Station albums.

Here's him demoing it around 20 checkout around 10

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

This is a cut

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
                        -Seth

www.thesethloverexperience.com

Comment

very cool solo though.

Comment

Originally Posted by Naterel

Dear Liev,

I went to see Richard The Third starring Kevin Spacey at the BAM theater last night and you were there, I waved and said I loved you in Phantoms. You did not wave back or acknowledge me, I thought we were homeboys but I guess not. Also you're much shorter in person.

Love

Natty

Comment

yes,
                              thanks for that
                              i couldn't remember that interview but that sounds right
                              __________________________________________________ _________
                              arcadesonfire:
                              And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind
                              ______________________________________________ _________
                              guido61: Nobody wants to be around No Fun Trump
                              __________________________________________________ ______
                              Zig al-din: The whole concept of a polite political dialogue is an oxymoron
                              _____________________________________________ _________
                              ​prolurkerguy: Knee jerk + soap box = injury waiting to happen

Comment

Working...
                              X