Fender Strat into Roland JC120: Best distortion pedals.

jkelter

• Members

I'm looking to buy 2 distortion pedals for my JC120. I found some previous threads about how some pedals do not work to good with SS amps in particular the JC120

I am considering buying a Boss DS-1 (for the heavier Zeplin, Lizzy, Hendrix tones) and a TS-9DX (for cleaner SRV, Clapton tones). Does anyone here have any experence of running these pedals into a JC120? Do they sound OK?

• Members

I run a Russian Muff, Boss HM2 and SD1 which all sound great. My rat sounded really bad in my opinion so thats one to avoid

I would get a Muff instead of a DS-1 (muffs can be found pretty cheap) and a tubescreamer would work good :thu:

• Members

i run the rat trebley (around 10 oclock or so)with the knobs at noon and its not farty at decent volumes

I have tried it with a ds-1, a ts9, and a modded sd-1, and also my current favorite, which is a marshall guvnor- I only liked the ds1 with an eq pedal, the tube screamer was very barky with all the mids, and the sd-1 was prolly my favorite for goosed cleans

oh the ds1 sounded very close to the built in distortion

• Members

I just checked out the RAT on youtube. Not realy the sound I was looking for. I guess the DS-1 and the tubescreamer are more the sounds I am looking for and I want to find out will they sound ok in the JC120

• Members

i run the rat trebley (around 10 oclock or so)with the knobs at noon and its not farty at decent volumes

I have tried it with a ds-1, a ts9, and a modded sd-1, and also my current favorite, which is a marshall guvnor- I only liked the ds1 with an eq pedal, the tube screamer was very barky with all the mids, and the sd-1 was prolly my favorite for goosed cleans

oh the ds1 sounded very close to the built in distortion

Do you think the guvnor for heavier lizzy type stuff and the SD-1 for SRV, Clapton?

• Members

I just checked out the RAT on youtube. Not realy the sound I was looking for. I guess the DS-1 and the tubescreamer are more the sounds I am looking for and I want to find out will they sound ok in the JC120

i have a DS1 but never use it and wouldn't recommend it for the sounds your after plus it's noisey when on and very hissy and harsh sounding (that was on my old Orange amp and would probaly be worse on a SS), i really think a NYC muff would be much better suited for you and works great with the Jazz Chorus

Never tried the Tubescreamer but the SD1 is about 90% Tubescreamer anyway which sound really good on my Jazzy

• Members

i have a DS1 but never use it and wouldn't recommend it for the sounds your after plus it's noisey when on and very hissy and harsh sounding (that was on my old Orange amp and would probaly be worse on a SS), i really think a NYC muff would be much better suited for you and works great with the Jazz Chorus

Never tried the Tubescreamer but the SD1 is about 90% Tubescreamer anyway which sound really good on my Jazzy

Thanks for the advice on the DS-1.

Isnt the SD1 for pushing the tubes on a tube amp? Would'nt this sound harsh on a SS amp?

• Members

I know the Keeley Fuzz Head sounds really good into a JC120!

I have heard from a few that the fuzz head sounds better into solid state amps for some reason. Don't know if there is any science to that. You can get keeley at GC so try it out and return it if you don't like it.

• Members

Big Muff sounded like {censored} through the JC120 in my experience

tube screamer was ok

Using a mfx tru the JC120 the big muff sounded like {censored} also! Loads of breakup. Like a chainsaw!

When you say the tubescreamer was "OK" do you mean "only alright"

• Members

Big Muff sounded like shit through the JC120 in my experience

tube screamer was ok

really :( i think a russian muff with a bit of delay sounds seriously good for lead tones on the JC, probaly not for chords but i never use a muff for chords anyway

• Members

So it looks as if the consensus for a strat into a Roland JC120 for distortion is:

1. A boss SD-1 Super Overdrive for Bluesy stuff.

2. A Marshall Guv'ner for heavier classic rock.

Sound good?

• Members

IDk how it sounds with single coils but on a mahogany bodies guitar with a jb in the bridge into a jazz chorus it sounds like this

Ds-1 (keeyle mods): sounds great can do anywhere from sabbath to megadeth.

Tubescreamer: Gives a bit of a treblyer than normal sound, with gain at about 6 it gives you a sweet sounding lead tone.

Archived