Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Strat into Roland JC120: Best distortion pedals.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Strat into Roland JC120: Best distortion pedals.

I'm looking to buy 2 distortion pedals for my JC120. I found some previous threads about how some pedals do not work to good with SS amps in particular the JC120

I am considering buying a Boss DS-1 (for the heavier Zeplin, Lizzy, Hendrix tones) and a TS-9DX (for cleaner SRV, Clapton tones). Does anyone here have any experence of running these pedals into a JC120? Do they sound OK?

I run a Russian Muff, Boss HM2 and SD1 which all sound great. My rat sounded really bad in my opinion so thats one to avoid

I would get a Muff instead of a DS-1 (muffs can be found pretty cheap) and a tubescreamer would work good
    Originally Posted by RoboPimp

doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?

Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

Comment

Thanks Woolyh

Have you ever run any of these into a JC120?

Comment

I run a Rat2 into my jc77 and it sounds great

Comment

What type stuff do you do with the Rat2?

Comment

sabbathy stuff, elo, usually humbuckers though it sounded good with fender noiseless singles as well

Comment

sabbathy stuff, elo, usually humbuckers though it sounded good with fender noiseless singles as well

Great. Ever try a tube screamer or the DS-1?

Comment

maybe its becuase mines a turbo rat which sounds like a bassy fart box on my JC120

Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

Comment

i run the rat trebley (around 10 oclock or so)with the knobs at noon and its not farty at decent volumes

I have tried it with a ds-1, a ts9, and a modded sd-1, and also my current favorite, which is a marshall guvnor- I only liked the ds1 with an eq pedal, the tube screamer was very barky with all the mids, and the sd-1 was prolly my favorite for goosed cleans

oh the ds1 sounded very close to the built in distortion

Comment

I just checked out the RAT on youtube. Not realy the sound I was looking for. I guess the DS-1 and the tubescreamer are more the sounds I am looking for and I want to find out will they sound ok in the JC120

Comment

i run the rat trebley (around 10 oclock or so)with the knobs at noon and its not farty at decent volumes

I have tried it with a ds-1, a ts9, and a modded sd-1, and also my current favorite, which is a marshall guvnor- I only liked the ds1 with an eq pedal, the tube screamer was very barky with all the mids, and the sd-1 was prolly my favorite for goosed cleans

oh the ds1 sounded very close to the built in distortion

Do you think the guvnor for heavier lizzy type stuff and the SD-1 for SRV, Clapton?

Comment

I just checked out the RAT on youtube. Not realy the sound I was looking for. I guess the DS-1 and the tubescreamer are more the sounds I am looking for and I want to find out will they sound ok in the JC120

i have a DS1 but never use it and wouldn't recommend it for the sounds your after plus it's noisey when on and very hissy and harsh sounding (that was on my old Orange amp and would probaly be worse on a SS), i really think a NYC muff would be much better suited for you and works great with the Jazz Chorus

Never tried the Tubescreamer but the SD1 is about 90% Tubescreamer anyway which sound really good on my Jazzy

Comment

I wish my JC60 was fixed already so I could try my Barber Pedals.
                          Live Gutiars: Hagström Viking with Bigsby, Hagström Super Swede
                          Amp: Vox AC30CCH w/ Avatar 2x12 (15w Weber Blue Dogs)
                          EFX: T1M Mini Buffer>Loopmaster A/B Switcher [A:Barber Half Gainer, B:Barber Dirty Bomb]>Cusack More Louder>Loopmaster 4 Loop Switcher [1:PitchFactor, 2:Strymon Lex, 3:MXR Flanger, 4:TimeFactor]>Echo Park

Razorblade Monalisa @ Facebook

Comment

Do you think the guvnor for heavier lizzy type stuff and the SD-1 for SRV, Clapton?

yeah prolly, the guv is cool for classic rock sounds, its a good marshall tone

Comment

i have a DS1 but never use it and wouldn't recommend it for the sounds your after plus it's noisey when on and very hissy and harsh sounding (that was on my old Orange amp and would probaly be worse on a SS), i really think a NYC muff would be much better suited for you and works great with the Jazz Chorus

Never tried the Tubescreamer but the SD1 is about 90% Tubescreamer anyway which sound really good on my Jazzy

Thanks for the advice on the DS-1.

Isnt the SD1 for pushing the tubes on a tube amp? Would'nt this sound harsh on a SS amp?

Comment

Working...
                              X