DD-20 Vs. Timebender

plushpile

• Members

I'm thinking about selling off my DD-20 and getting a timebender.

Is there any features the DD-20 has that the timebender doesn't?

Should I do it?

Where's the best place to buy a timebender from in Aus (or to get it shipped here?)

Cheers

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by elxchino View Post
I've only played with a DD20 a few times and I don't really know what WARP and TWIST does, but I have a Timebender and I like it a lot better. And it does mode 7 and 11 better than the PS-3.
Warp is pretty much unusable. It kind of ramps up an oscillation, which sounds kinda in theory, but the oscillation just sounds like a motorbike revving, and it doesn't seem to match the tempo you have punched in.

Twist is pretty cool, it just maxes out the repeats while you hold the left footswitch in, but by the look of it it looks like the Timebender does that as well...

turiguiliano why is the timebender harder to use than the DD-20, their knobs seem pretty similar (minus the pitch and mod knobs on the timebender).

The only other thing i can think of is that the time bender has "only" 5 sec of delay, while the DD-20 has 23. Has anybody actually used more than 5 seconds for delay without looping? And the timebender has a 20 second looper.

I'm starting to talk myself into this more and more...

• Members

Just do it. I owned a DD-20 for a while, and while it was nice, it doesnt really compare to the TB. The pitchshifting alone is worth the extra cheese. Expression input (which opens up many more possibilities).

http://timebenderdelay.com/

Go there and click some of the sound links. Pretty much shows off the meat of what the TB can do. You could tweak for hours. THere are 4 presets, and I keep finding better sounds to replace them. Ive had mine for 2 months (maybe 3?) and Ive never considered selling it. The only thing I might think about doing is getting a DD-3 or DE7 for a simple delay, and use the TB for JUST pitch delays, tremolo and a bonus looper.

Do it.

• Members

I had a DD-20. Cool pedal, great workhorse. Got rid of it when I got my SMMH. Got an RE-20 - great one trick pony (more or less), but I'm thinking of getting rid of that for a Timebender. IMO, whatever learning curve there is for the Timbender is totally worth it.

• Members

I really think the timebender is a whole different beast.

a better comparison would be be dd20 vs dl4. I use to like the dl4 but I've become more partial to the dd20 now. more control, but not clustered.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Overwhelmed987 View Post
use the TB for JUST pitch delays, tremolo and a bonus looper.
Tremolo? please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by james reuter View Post
I really think the timebender is a whole different beast.

a better comparison would be be dd20 vs dl4. I use to like the dl4 but I've become more partial to the dd20 now. more control, but not clustered.
I had both a DL4 and a DD-20 on my board. The DL4 is gone....

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong Overwhelmed, but I think he is referring to the envelope mode in the TB. You can use it to create very nice tremolo effects. The mix knob controls the depth, while the delay time controls the rate. The fact that you can control the rate with tap tempo or strum tempo is real bonus. You can even use the patterns to create funky far-out tremolos if you want, but I tend to stick with the straight up sinusoidal trem.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GfxGuru View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong Overwhelmed, but I think he is referring to the envelope mode in the TB. You can use it to create very nice tremolo effects. The mix knob controls the depth, while the delay time controls the rate. The fact that you can control the rate with tap tempo or strum tempo is real bonus. You can even use the patterns to create funky far-out tremolos if you want, but I tend to stick with the straight up sinusoidal trem.

Cool.

Sounds like theres much more to this unit than I had thought of at first...
GASn hard for one now, will probably pull the trigger soon...

• Members

I'm going to sell my echo park when I get the DD-20. If I'm able to completely pay for my guitar, I'm going to get the dd-20 and new resonant drum heads for my bday. i'm going to use the money from the echo park for a Pedal Train

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Overwhelmed987 View Post

Ive had mine for 2 months (maybe 3?) and Ive never considered selling it. The only thing I might think about doing is getting a DD-3 or DE7 for a simple delay, and use the TB for JUST pitch delays, tremolo and a bonus looper.
this is exactly what i think about it. it can do delay great sure, but you really want it for the pitch shifting delays. the bad thing about it is it cant do both a delay and a pitch shifted delay at once which is why you need a simple delay also. this is why ive been considering selling mine because is it really worth the extra $$ on top of a boss ps-3 when i pretty much use it for that sole reason? it is much nicer than the ps-3 and a bit more flexible but i dunno if i can justify the price just yet.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by pbone

View Post

how are the pitch shifting things? i thought they sounded cheese balls.

The pitch shifting sounds pretty much identical to a Whammy or HarmonyMan - I've always assumed they just implemented that circuit into the wet/repeated signal path.

Archived