I got one of those Nigerians to send me a fake check (Pictures inside)

• Members

I've been listing a lot of {censored} on Craigslist lately and have gotten TONS of those stupid scamming emails and decided to give one of them my address and a fake name to see what would happen. Turns out I got a check for $3500! Here is the email I got from the dude today to let me know there is a check on my front door.

Hello ,

How are you today? I Just to keep you update that the payment has be delivered to you today via UPS As soon as you have it, take it to your bank, deposit it and withdraw the shipper fund and $100 for the troubles and send the balance to the shipper through western union money western union location in your area.

Afterward i will require the following info from you....

1. The name and address of the sender.

2. The amount sent. (After deducting the transfer Charges).

3. Mtcn number (10 digit number on the western union receipt)

Please deduct the transfer charges from the amount you want to send to

the shipper ..kindly get back to me asap.Go to western union store

with cash to enable you make the transfer . I will await your response asap.

Regards

I don't have the original email because I must have deleted it but it's just one of those typical emails telling you to cash the check, deduct shipping and handling charges, take a bit more for myself, and send the remaining amount back to him. Haha what a joke, like I'm going to fall for that. I can't believe they actually went through and sent me an obvious fake check. This thing feels like it was printed on Xerox paper for crying out loud. Oh yeah, I also don't have any fear of him coming to get me because I live in a busy area and my apartment complex is completely gated off.

To prove I really did get the check here are the pictures:

DSCN1281.jpg

DSCN1282.jpg

Some of you guys may know I love hockey which is why I picked Sean Avery's name :lol:

• Members

God I hate these people. This is a reply I got about a guitar I'm selling, I gave the guy a chance and this was his reply:

"Hi,

I have instructed my assistant to send out your payment as soon you provide your full name,phone number and address. I can only pay via money order as am on business trip now,the money order is going to clear from your bank before the pick up. Please let me know where to send your payment to because i would'nt want to lose it to someone else. I dont mind adding fifty dollars so you can keep it in my favor. As for the pick-up, I already have an arrangement for that.Hope is in good condition?"

• Members

wait so how does the scam work? what happens when you cash the cheque?

They overpay by a couple thousand with a fake check. you cash it and it passes, and then you send then back the amount they overpaid... They get 3.5K in the mail, you get called out on the fake check that passed and you walk away empty handed. They never pick up the item.

• Members

It's not a fake check. It's a real check written against a real account, and they're ripping of this company here:

https://www.resmaemortgage.com/default.asp

I've seen this kind of thing for a long time. These scammers get ahold of bank account numbers and forge checks out of real accounts, and it works until the scammed company figures it out and closes the account or changes account numbers. Pretty {censored}ing creepy.

How does it work? The scammer turns ordinary folks into forged-check cashers, into criminals, essentially, and takes most of the loot and runs. Another common method is for scammers to send out checks with a sweepstakes announcement from another country. You are to cash the (forged) check, send the money to pay the "taxes" in the other country, and you'll "receive" your sweepstakes money. Meanwhile, some unwitting company gets completely ripped off because their checking account is being siphoned off by the scammers.

Don't cash the check. You'll end up in a giant legal mess, and you won't get to keep the money.

• Members

It's not a fake check. It's a real check written against a real account, and they're ripping of this company here:

I've seen this kind of thing for a long time. These scammers get ahold of bank account numbers and forge checks out of real accounts, and it works until the scammed company figures it out and closes the account or changes account numbers. Pretty {censored}ing creepy.

How does it work? The scammer turns ordinary folks into forged-check cashers, into criminals, essentially, and takes most of the loot and runs. Another common method is for scammers to send out checks with a sweepstakes announcement from another country. You are to cash the (forged) check, send the money to pay the "taxes" in the other country, and you'll "receive" your sweepstakes money. Meanwhile, some unwitting company gets completely ripped off because their checking account is being siphoned off by the scammers.

Don't cash the check. You'll end up in a giant legal mess, and you won't get to keep the money.

Basically all boils down into you cashing a expensive check and you sending them money back, then getting the check rejected. The item is irrelevant completely.

Archived